±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus Financial Update 26 September 2016
· Merrill Lynch Closing Brokerage Accounts For US Expats
· 7 Practical Tips For Saving Oodles Of Money As An Expat
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 September 2016
· What Does It Take To Become An Expat? Some Things To Consider
· Expat Focus Financial Update 05 September 2016
· Should UK Expats In The UAE Transfer Their Pensions?
· Expat Focus Finance Update 29 August 2016
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 August 2016
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 07 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare is Better Than The UK
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 24 August 2016
· Interview With Stephanie Eltz, Founder, Doctify
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 August 2016
· The Ten Best Countries For Healthcare In Europe
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 26 July 2016
Driving & Public TransportBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Alicante - Driving & Public Transport
Citizens from other countries have up to six months to exchange their licences, which can be done through the same office, and will take a Spanish written and/or practical driving test.
Many expats however choose to exchange their valid licence for a Spanish one as it can cause less problems if stopped by the police, some of whom are not aware of the reciprocal rule and can issue on the spot fines for driving with what they believe are invalid licences.
If importing a car, there is a six month grace period until the car must be issued with Spanish licence plates. The car will need to be registered and import taxes paid. Forms to start this process are available from the Delegacion de Economia y Hacienda at Plaza de la Montañeta, 8, telephone 965 147060. The bureacracy can be overwhelming and hiring a gestor, an official ‘middleman’ between you and the Government, who can guide you through the process, makes it much easier. English speaking gestors can be found at www.paginasamarillas.es, in the Yellow Pages, or from personal recommendation.
Public transport is prominent, efficient and well-supported in Alicante. The new tram system runs several lines through the city, some underground, linking the port with the outlying town of Denia. The tram is subsidised by the Valencian local government, making it a cheap and viable option for many. Information on timetables, prices and stops can be found at www.fgvalicante.com/tram/html/home/home.asp
There are a number of private bus companies running from Alicante’s central bus station situated at Calle Portugal, 17. A full list of companies and routes can be found here
Taxis are also a good option, and not too costly. For example, a taxi from Alicante Airport to the town centre costs around 20 euros. A list of companies, telephone numbers and taxi ranks can be found here
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.