±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· 7 Practical Tips For Saving Oodles Of Money As An Expat
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 September 2016
· What Does It Take To Become An Expat? Some Things To Consider
· Expat Focus Financial Update 05 September 2016
· Should UK Expats In The UAE Transfer Their Pensions?
· Expat Focus Finance Update 29 August 2016
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 August 2016
· Five Questions You Must Ask Your Expat Financial Adviser
· Expat Focus Financial Update 15 August 2016
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 07 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare is Better Than The UK
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 24 August 2016
· Interview With Stephanie Eltz, Founder, Doctify
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 August 2016
· The Ten Best Countries For Healthcare In Europe
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 26 July 2016
EmploymentBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Belize - Employment
Those who wish to become employed in Belize must have legal residency, they must have resided in Belize for at least six months. Employers who wish to employ a foreigner should submit an application form for his/her prospective employee. The employer should send the form along with three passport photos, $20 in stamps, a valid passport and proof that the individual is qualified for the job. The labour officer should also be satisfied that all efforts to employ a national have been exhausted, this includes providing proof that the position was advertised in the local area for at least three weeks and no local resident was suitable for the job.
Labour officers in the respective area where the person is expected to work are to be presented with the applications, all of which are usually accepted on a certain day of the week.
There has been growing concern about protecting the Belize job market and for that reason the Immigration and Nationality Department has tightened its policies. Work permits will not be granted to those who are waiters, vendors, domestic workers as well as farm hands. It should be noted that fees are subject to change and for the latest details it is worthwhile contacting the Belize Labour Office to verify the amount that needs to be paid, but they can range from as low as BZ$25 up to almost BZ$1000, depending up upon the type of work that is being undertaken.
Those who are applying for permanent residency will be required to pay the following amount: Mexicans and Guatemalan residents: $125; Salvadorans, those from Honduras and Nicaraguans: $262.50. Caricom nationals: $300, those from other Commonwealth countries: $500; all others, except from Mainland China: $625. Unsuccessful applicants' fees will be refunded. However, for applicants from Mainland China, the application fee is $1500 and this fee is non-refundable. Again, fees are subject to change and the latest details can be provided by the Immigration Office.
Expats who are looking for work in the country may find themselves working in one of several industries. Tourism is a growing sector in Belize although any jobs on offer to expats may well be seasonal. There are opportunities available in construction, medicine and teaching.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.