±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Merrill Lynch Closing Brokerage Accounts For US Expats
· 7 Practical Tips For Saving Oodles Of Money As An Expat
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 September 2016
· What Does It Take To Become An Expat? Some Things To Consider
· Expat Focus Financial Update 05 September 2016
· Should UK Expats In The UAE Transfer Their Pensions?
· Expat Focus Finance Update 29 August 2016
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 August 2016
· Five Questions You Must Ask Your Expat Financial Adviser
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 07 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare is Better Than The UK
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 24 August 2016
· Interview With Stephanie Eltz, Founder, Doctify
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 August 2016
· The Ten Best Countries For Healthcare In Europe
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 26 July 2016
Taking Your PetsBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Belize - Taking Your Pets
The animal must have a certificate of good health from your veterinarian and which shows that all relevant vaccinations are current. These include rabies, parvovirus, distemper, leptospirosis, hepatitis and coronavirus. This certificate must be dated within 14 days of your travelling to Belize. The rabies vaccination and certificate must be a minimum of one month old when travelling, but not more than one year.
Animals less than 3 months of age will have to be confined at home until they are old enough to receive a rabies vaccination, then they must be confined for a further 30 days. They may be inspected by a BAHA veterinary officer to confirm that the confinement and vaccinations have been carried out in accordance with the procedures. This will incur a fee and must be paid by the pet's owner.
Should you arrive at an airport in Belize without the relevant permits will be placed into quarantine until all documentation and vaccinations are correct. All costs associated with this will be met by the owner. As well as the standard quarantine inspection at the port of entry, there are also additional examinations involved for animals coming from countries which are associated with specific conditions. This will involve an examination by a qualified veterinarian and will incur a fee.
The standard of veterinary care is excellent in Belize. Most qualified veterinarians have studied at universities in the US or the UK and as English is the official language there, communication should not be a problem. If your pet requires a specific medication for an existing condition, it is advisable to check in advance to ensure that this medication is available in Belize. If not, then you will need to discuss with your vet at home or in Belize to find an alternative treatment.
Supplies of pet food are also readily available, though it may be that the branded foods you are used to at home are not imported into the country and you will have to try an alternative. If you are in any doubt, your local vet in Belize will be able to help you.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.