±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Top Tax Tips For Expats Abroad
· Expat Focus Financial Update 23 November 2016
· The Financial Impact Leaving The US Will Have On Your Family Back Home
· Expat Focus Financial Update 16 November 2016
· Expat Focus Financial Round-Up 09 November 2016
· Shocking Expat Financial Scams - Don't Become A Victim
· Expat Focus Financial Update 03 November 2016
· Expat Focus Financial Update 25 October 2016
· Expat Top Tips For Transferring Currency Overseas
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 10 November 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 31 October 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 19 October 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 30 September 2016
· Unusual Expat Illnesses And Injuries
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 07 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare is Better Than The UK
Renting PropertyBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Belize - Renting Property
Expats do not tend to live in their own communities, mainly due to the fact that Belize has a very European heritage and is an accepting, multi-cultural society. Newcomers are made to feel very welcome and should have no problem integrating if they make the effort to do so. The fact that Belize has English for an official language means that English speaking expats can settle very easily.
Tenancy agreements can be both short term and long term, though most will be for six months or a year. The agreements will list exactly what is included in the rent and detail any furniture which is included in the rental agreement. Tenants should expect to pay for all utility bills themselves, though if in an apartment block it may be that the landlord will pay any maintenance charges. As an expat you will find that utility companies will require a large deposit before utilities such as electricity and the telephone are connected.
Some apartment complexes will have some shared facilities, such as a laundry room, and if you are in a particularly affluent neighbourhood, you may be lucky enough to have a swimming pool or shared gym. Most rented homes will at least include the kitchen appliances, but unless you are renting in a wealthy part of town you should expect the accommodation to be functional rather than luxurious. It is usual for the tenant to be charged a deposit and a month's rent in advance.
It is fairly easy to find domestic help in Belize if you should require it. Hiring a cleaner or a gardener is usual in the more affluent areas, though you should always ensure that you double check any references that you are given. If in doubt use the services of an agency or seek a recommendation from friends.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.