±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· 7 Practical Tips For Saving Oodles Of Money As An Expat
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 September 2016
· What Does It Take To Become An Expat? Some Things To Consider
· Expat Focus Financial Update 05 September 2016
· Should UK Expats In The UAE Transfer Their Pensions?
· Expat Focus Finance Update 29 August 2016
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 August 2016
· Five Questions You Must Ask Your Expat Financial Adviser
· Expat Focus Financial Update 15 August 2016
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 07 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare is Better Than The UK
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 24 August 2016
· Interview With Stephanie Eltz, Founder, Doctify
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 August 2016
· The Ten Best Countries For Healthcare In Europe
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 26 July 2016
Renting PropertyBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Belize - Renting Property
Expats do not tend to live in their own communities, mainly due to the fact that Belize has a very European heritage and is an accepting, multi-cultural society. Newcomers are made to feel very welcome and should have no problem integrating if they make the effort to do so. The fact that Belize has English for an official language means that English speaking expats can settle very easily.
Tenancy agreements can be both short term and long term, though most will be for six months or a year. The agreements will list exactly what is included in the rent and detail any furniture which is included in the rental agreement. Tenants should expect to pay for all utility bills themselves, though if in an apartment block it may be that the landlord will pay any maintenance charges. As an expat you will find that utility companies will require a large deposit before utilities such as electricity and the telephone are connected.
Some apartment complexes will have some shared facilities, such as a laundry room, and if you are in a particularly affluent neighbourhood, you may be lucky enough to have a swimming pool or shared gym. Most rented homes will at least include the kitchen appliances, but unless you are renting in a wealthy part of town you should expect the accommodation to be functional rather than luxurious. It is usual for the tenant to be charged a deposit and a month's rent in advance.
It is fairly easy to find domestic help in Belize if you should require it. Hiring a cleaner or a gardener is usual in the more affluent areas, though you should always ensure that you double check any references that you are given. If in doubt use the services of an agency or seek a recommendation from friends.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.