±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus Financial Update 21 April 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 April 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 05 April 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 29 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 23 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 14 March 2017
· Do Expats Really Need An Offshore Bank Account?
· American Living Abroad? Here's How To File Your Tax Return
· Where Do The World's Highest Paid Expats Live?
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 13 April 2017
· A Guide To Healthcare For Expats With Chronic Illnesses
· Do You Need Terrorism Cover In Your Expat Health Insurance Package?
· Are These The Healthiest Destinations For Expats?
· Why Understanding Expat Healthcare Issues Before You Move Abroad Is So Important
· A Guide To Health Insurance For Expat Freelancers
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 30 March 2017
· Why Expat Retirees Should Never Ignore Health Insurance
· Moving Abroad? Read Our Essential Health Checklist
Renting PropertyBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Belize - Renting Property
Expats do not tend to live in their own communities, mainly due to the fact that Belize has a very European heritage and is an accepting, multi-cultural society. Newcomers are made to feel very welcome and should have no problem integrating if they make the effort to do so. The fact that Belize has English for an official language means that English speaking expats can settle very easily.
Tenancy agreements can be both short term and long term, though most will be for six months or a year. The agreements will list exactly what is included in the rent and detail any furniture which is included in the rental agreement. Tenants should expect to pay for all utility bills themselves, though if in an apartment block it may be that the landlord will pay any maintenance charges. As an expat you will find that utility companies will require a large deposit before utilities such as electricity and the telephone are connected.
Some apartment complexes will have some shared facilities, such as a laundry room, and if you are in a particularly affluent neighbourhood, you may be lucky enough to have a swimming pool or shared gym. Most rented homes will at least include the kitchen appliances, but unless you are renting in a wealthy part of town you should expect the accommodation to be functional rather than luxurious. It is usual for the tenant to be charged a deposit and a month's rent in advance.
It is fairly easy to find domestic help in Belize if you should require it. Hiring a cleaner or a gardener is usual in the more affluent areas, though you should always ensure that you double check any references that you are given. If in doubt use the services of an agency or seek a recommendation from friends.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.