±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Interview With Duncan Khoury, Head of Marketing, World First Australia
· Expat Focus Financial Update June 2017
· Relocation Destinations For The Politically Minded And Socially Progressive Expat
· Expat Focus Financial Update May 2017
· An Expat Guide To Investing While Living Abroad
· Expat Focus Financial Update 27 April 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 21 April 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 April 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 05 April 2017
OverviewBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Bermuda - Overview
Government: British overseas territory with internal self-government
Currency: Bermudian dollar (BMD); par with US dollar Area: 53.3 sq km
Population: 65,773 (July 2006 est.)
Language: English (official), Portuguese
Religion: non-Anglican Protestant 39%, Anglican 27%, Roman Catholic 15%, other 19%
Calling Code: +1-441
Internet TLD: .bm
Time Zone: UTC -4
Bermuda is a self-governing British overseas territory in the Atlantic Ocean north of the Caribbean, off the coast of North America east of North Carolina.
Bermuda consists of about 138 islands and islets, with all the major islands aligned on a hook-shaped but roughly east-west axis and connected together by road bridges. Despite this complexity, Bermudans usually refer to Bermuda as "the island". In terms of terrain, the islands are comprised of low hills separated by fertile depressions, and interspersed with a complex set of waterways.
The inhabited island chain is actually the southern sector of a circular pseudo-atoll, the remainder of the coral ring being submerged or inter-tidal reefs (Bermuda, while having been formed volcanically, is not a true atoll). As a result the northern shores of inhabited islands are relatively sheltered, whilst the southern shores are exposed to the ocean swell. Consequently most of the best beaches are on the southern shore.
- St. George's Parish - Encompassing the area around the historic Town of St. George.
- Hamilton Parish - Location of Crystal Caves and Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo.
- Smith's Parish - Home to Spittle Pond Nature Preserve.
- Devonshire Parish - The quiet parish.
- Pembroke Parish - Where the city of Hamilton is located.
- Paget Parish - Numerous resorts, Elbow Beach, and Paget Marsh birdwatching.
- Warwick Parish - Golf, horseback riding and the island's best cliffs.
- Southampton Parish - The best beaches and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse.
- Sandys Parish - The Royal Naval Dockyard fortress and shops, but also Gilbert Nature Reserve and some fine beaches.
Bermuda has two incorporated municipalities: one city and one town. There are also unincorporated municipalities (villages).
- Hamilton - the capital, and only city.
- St. George - the old capital. Oldest surviving English New World town.
- Flatts Village - location of the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo.
- Somerset Village - on Somerset Island, Sandy's Parish.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.