±Financial Advice and Services
Expert advice from professionals you can trust
±Social Media - Follow Us!
Renting PropertyBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Costa Rica - Renting Property
Here are some tips on finding a good rental property and the rental process:
- Ask friends and contacts - good property is often found through word of mouth.
- Check La Nacion classifieds - section called 'alquiler - casas' 'alquiler - apartamentos'.
- Look for signs in windows, 'se alquila' means 'For rent'.
- The Tico Times has good rentals in their classifieds, properties are more likely to have the amenities you expect and you can get information in English.
- Rental contracts are for 1 year. They may be renewed automatically and increase 15% per year if the price is in Colones.
- Prices are based on the location. In rural areas you can get a large house with a large yard for $500 per month, in more exclusive areas they will cost $3000.
- A security deposit ('deposito') is usually required, returned when you leave if everything is in good condition and if you have given written notice 30 days in advance.
- Utilities are generally separate, double check for phone service, if it is not advertised with a phone it probably won't have it.
- The rental law is very complete and specific. It offers good protection for the renter and property owner, some clauses may not be overridden even if the contract states otherwise.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Expat Focus Preferred Health Insurance Partners
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.