±Financial Advice and Services
Expert advice from professionals you can trust
±@ExpatFocus on Twitter
TaxationBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Costa Rica - Taxation
- There is NO wealth or inheritance tax in Costa Rica.
- Sales tax is currently 13%, gasoline carries an additional tax burden.
- Imported items carry heavy customs duty when they are luxury items - cars have an import duty of 33% - 80% depending on the age (2 to 10 years). Non-luxury items (agricultural machinery, computer supplies and equipment) attract very little duty. Each person has a $500 exemption for personal items every 6 months.
- Income tax and social security run at 10% - 15% for both depending on the income level.
Taxes on property:
- Transfer of property title is approximately 2.75%, including transfer taxes and attorney's fees.
- Property tax 'impuesto terretorial', annual - 1% of assessed property value (about 10 - 40% of market value), this goes to the city government, in certain areas additional taxes pay for trash collection and street maintenance.
- Capital gains - NONE.
blog comments powered by Disqus