±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Report: Complicated Tax Codes Forcing Americans To Give Up Citizenship
· Expat Focus Financial Update 26 September 2016
· Merrill Lynch Closing Brokerage Accounts For US Expats
· 7 Practical Tips For Saving Oodles Of Money As An Expat
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 September 2016
· What Does It Take To Become An Expat? Some Things To Consider
· Expat Focus Financial Update 05 September 2016
· Should UK Expats In The UAE Transfer Their Pensions?
· Expat Focus Finance Update 29 August 2016
±Latest Health Articles
· Unusual Expat Illnesses And Injuries
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 07 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare is Better Than The UK
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 24 August 2016
· Interview With Stephanie Eltz, Founder, Doctify
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 August 2016
· The Ten Best Countries For Healthcare In Europe
EmploymentBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Ecuador - Employment
Spanish is the country’s official language and the majority of workers will need to have a good working knowledge of the language. There may be a few cases where a foreign company will prefer to use another language such as English on a daily basis, although this is rare.
Unemployment levels have dropped in recent years as the economy is much more stable than it was, although this is no guarantee of work. There is a demand for skilled and experienced teachers, although proof of qualifications will be required before a firm offer of employment is made. A qualified and experienced teacher can expect a salary of up to $500 per month. Translators who are fluent in Spanish are also in demand.
There is also an increasing need for professionals in the tourism industry to act as guides. This type of work pays a good rate, although it is seasonal. Tourism professionals will be expected to be fluent in more than one language and have experience in a similar role.
Salary levels are quite low. The minimum basic salary is just US$135 per month. The cost of living is very low in Ecuador and a family can live reasonably well on a few hundred dollars each month and an average salary will be around $350 per month. An hourly pay rate is rare and most people earn a monthly salary.
Workers spend an average of 40 hours a week working and this is usually an 8 hour day. Most people begin work at 8.30 am and finish at 4.30 pm. This will vary depending upon the industry and type of job. Medical staff, for example, will be expected to work at weekends and do shift work. Working conditions are generally very good, particularly for those who are skilled.
Work contracts are for an initial three months as a trial period then are renewable each year. The contract will detail all your obligations and rights as an employee so it is essential that it is read carefully.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.