±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 14 March 2017
· Do Expats Really Need An Offshore Bank Account?
· American Living Abroad? Here's How To File Your Tax Return
· Where Do The World's Highest Paid Expats Live?
· Expat Focus Financial Update 08 March 2017
· 5 Reasons to Move to the Glittering Shores of Cyprus
· Expat Focus Financial Update 01 March 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 February 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 16 February 2017
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 16 March 2017
· Coming To The UK? Here's What You Need To Know About The National Health Service
· How Can Telephone Counselling Help Expats Dealing With Loneliness Abroad?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 27 February 2017
· Could Moving Abroad Be The Key To Improving Your Health?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 03 February 2017
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 20 January 2017
· Expat Focus Healthcare Update 06 January 2017
Business CultureBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Estonia - Business Culture
You should always make appointments in advance, and send an agenda for the meeting. Although many Estonians can speak English, it will be appreciated if you translate your correspondence and materials into Estonian.
Normal business attire consists of good quality, smart but conservative clothing.
The usual form of greeting is a firm handshake with good eye contact. Business cards are usually exchanged on meeting. You should always use titles and surnames when addressing your Estonian contacts, first names are not generally used in business here. You should be especially respectful and deferential to those in senior positions, as this is a status-conscious society.
There are many women in Estonian business, and mildly flirtatious behaviour between men and women in business settings is commonplace and inoffensive here.
Business meetings are usually formal, especially in the early stages of a working relationship, and there is relatively little small talk. The most senior person present usually gives an introductory speech.
Your business presentations should be straightforward and accurate, but avoiding high-pressure sales tactics. Ensure that you are able to deliver anything you commit to, as this will be important in securing the trust of your Estonian contacts.
It is not unusual for several meetings to be required before business decisions are made, due to the hierarchical nature of Estonian business which makes it necessary to consult senior colleagues.
Outside the workplace, you are likely to find the Estonians much more informal and very hospitable.
It is acceptable to give small business gifts to the organisation you are visiting, such as pens or other stationery. If visiting an Estonian home, you should bring a small gift such as flowers, wine or sweets.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.