±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 14 March 2017
· Do Expats Really Need An Offshore Bank Account?
· American Living Abroad? Here's How To File Your Tax Return
· Where Do The World's Highest Paid Expats Live?
· Expat Focus Financial Update 08 March 2017
· 5 Reasons to Move to the Glittering Shores of Cyprus
· Expat Focus Financial Update 01 March 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 February 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 16 February 2017
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 16 March 2017
· Coming To The UK? Here's What You Need To Know About The National Health Service
· How Can Telephone Counselling Help Expats Dealing With Loneliness Abroad?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 27 February 2017
· Could Moving Abroad Be The Key To Improving Your Health?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 03 February 2017
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 20 January 2017
· Expat Focus Healthcare Update 06 January 2017
Healthcare & Medical TreatmentBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Frankfurt - Healthcare & Medical Treatment
First, if a medical emergency arises, you simply need to dial 112 from any pay phone or cellular phone in Frankfurt. The operator will assist you in obtaining ambulance or first aid services, and in getting you to one of the city’s many hospitals. Keep in mind, though, that the operators typically do not speak English, so you should know enough German to communicate your location and the nature of your emergency.
Second, all residents of Frankfurt must have health insurance coverage to use the services of a hospital, doctor, or medical clinic. In fact, health insurance is required to obtain a residency permit in Germany. The simplest way to obtain health insurance is to purchase an international medical care policy before you depart from your home country. There are several international companies, including Cigna and Allainz, that offer international medical care policies that will cover your medical expenses while you are living in Frankfurt.
If you will be working for a German employer, your company should be able to arrange healthcare coverage for you prior to your arrival in Frankfurt.
When you arrive in Frankfurt, you should establish a relationship with a doctor in the city, to obtain routine medical care and obtain referrals for specialized care. You can find a list of doctors and specialists in Frankfurt at frankfurt.usconsulate.gov.
Frankfurt has a modern and extensive medical care system, comprised of numerous hospitals and medical clinics. Take the time to find out where the closest hospital to your home is located, so you can easily get to the hospital in case of an emergency or illness.
The most popular hospitals with expats are:
Tel: 069 15 00 0
Tel: 069 15 23 0
Tel: 069 79 39 0
All of the hospitals listed here employ some English speaking staff members, but it is a good idea to have a decent grasp of the German language, in case you need to consult with a doctor who does not speak English.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.