Get expat health and financial news, interesting expat articles, social media recommendations and more in your inbox each month - free!

We respect your privacy - we don't spam and you can unsubscribe at any time.

±Compare Expat Providers

Expat Health Insurance Quotes

Foreign Currency Exchange Quotes

International Moving Quotes

We're very social! Follow Expat Focus on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+

Expat Focus Facebook PageExpat Focus on TwitterExpat Focus Pinterest PageExpat Focus Google+ Page

Notify me when new content is added about a country

±Expat Focus Partners

±Financial Advice / Services

Expert advice from professionals you can trust

Healthcare and Medical Treatment

Greece - Healthcare and Medical Treatment

EU Citizens

Form E111 and Electronic Health Cards

You should obtain a new transitional E111 form for travel to Greece until the advent of the new electronic European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in December 2005. The transitional forms can be obtained free of charge from your local office in your home country.

In Greece take the E111 form to the local IKA (The Social Insurance Foundation) office to have it exchanged for an IKA medical/health booklet. Note that in Greece the E111 is only valid for 1 year. With the advent of the EHIC card the system could change. Check at your local IKA office on arrival in Greece for the latest information.

Pensioners who intend to take up residence in Greece and who are entitled to free medical treatment in other EU countries also enjoy a similar entitlement in Greece. They should produce form E121 (which is issued by their local Department of Health Office) at the local IKA office.

EU and Non-EU Citizens

U.S.Citizens see http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/greece.html

If you are legally working in Greece and paying into the National Health scheme, IKA or another, you are entitled to free health care under the Greek scheme when you have paid up 50 'stamps' or days work.


If you are covered under the IKA scheme above you can make an appointment for any doctor or specialist by phoning 184, the national appointments phone line. You will not be required to pay for treatment.


Those covered by IKA will receive free hospital treatment if required. You must show your IKA book or Form E111. For any emergency go to the Accident and Emergency Department - "ENTANTIKH".


Dental treatment is free under the IKA scheme but is limited. If you need crowns or other cosmetic treatment you will need to go privately.


Greek Pharmacists are highly trained and can provide advice for the treatment of common illnesses. Most drugs in Greece are available over the counter without a prescription, including antibiotics. Prescriptions issued by IKA doctors are charged between 10% and 25% of the cost so if you qualify for IKA it is worth going to the doctor first for a prescription.

There is always at least one 'duty' pharmacy open out-of-hours , around the clock. Each pharmacy displays a list of the duty pharmacies for that day.

Private Treatment

If you are not covered by the Greek National Health Service you should ensure that you have private health insurance, as treatment, or an unexpected stay in hospital, can be costly. Even those covered by IKA or another National Insurance may wish to take out private health insurance for better treatment, as the standards of hospital care in particular may not be what you would expect at home. There are many private clinics in the main towns and on the islands which have all the latest equipment, good doctors and nursing care, plus private rooms with TV and phone. Private clinics are very expensive so unless you have private health insurance the cost is usually prohibitive.

There are many GPs and specialists who work privately. Most have their surgery/office in an apartment in a block in town. Their rates are reasonable, between 30 and 50 Euros for a consultation. Some have studied outside of Greece and may speak excellent English, while others will speak very little.

Information courtesy of Carol Palioudaki, author of The Cool Guide to Living in Crete, available at www.livingincrete.net

Expat Health Insurance Partners


Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.