±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus Financial Update 21 April 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 April 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 05 April 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 29 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 23 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 14 March 2017
· Do Expats Really Need An Offshore Bank Account?
· American Living Abroad? Here's How To File Your Tax Return
· Where Do The World's Highest Paid Expats Live?
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 13 April 2017
· A Guide To Healthcare For Expats With Chronic Illnesses
· Do You Need Terrorism Cover In Your Expat Health Insurance Package?
· Are These The Healthiest Destinations For Expats?
· Why Understanding Expat Healthcare Issues Before You Move Abroad Is So Important
· A Guide To Health Insurance For Expat Freelancers
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 30 March 2017
· Why Expat Retirees Should Never Ignore Health Insurance
· Moving Abroad? Read Our Essential Health Checklist
Social Security and WelfareBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Israel - Social Security and Welfare
Workers make contributions into the system, which is a percentage of their wage. Self employed people also make contributions and employers will also pay a percentage into the system for each employee. This is topped up with a small percentage by the government.
In order to claim the old age pension a person must have made a minimum of 12 years of contributions into the system. There are different payments that can be made in connection to the old age pension such as income support benefit for those who only have their pension and a supplement for any dependents.
For illnesses, there are disability payments and pensions, depending upon the severity of the disability and the length of time the claimant will be off work. A person who needs the help of others to carry out everyday tasks can claim an attendance allowance. Parents with a disabled child can claim an allowance to help with the cost of care and there is a mobility allowance for those who have reduced mobility but are not yet retired.
There are also a series of benefits which are for the short term. Maternity grants and benefits can be paid to new mothers who have paid into the system. There is also a short term sickness benefit that can be claimed for those who are out of work because of illness but who are expected to return to work after a short time.
The social insurance scheme covers those who are unemployed if they have been making contributions. Those who have voluntarily left their employment will not qualify for this benefit. As with all benefits, the amount paid out is based on the average salary earned prior to the claim.
As an expat new to the county you will not be able to claim benefits. If you are moving to the country to claim citizenship, then after a qualifying period and a minimum number of contributions you will be able to make a claim.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.