±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 23 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 14 March 2017
· Do Expats Really Need An Offshore Bank Account?
· American Living Abroad? Here's How To File Your Tax Return
· Where Do The World's Highest Paid Expats Live?
· Expat Focus Financial Update 08 March 2017
· 5 Reasons to Move to the Glittering Shores of Cyprus
· Expat Focus Financial Update 01 March 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 February 2017
±Latest Health Articles
· Why Expat Retirees Should Never Ignore Health Insurance
· Moving Abroad? Read Our Essential Health Checklist
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 16 March 2017
· Coming To The UK? Here's What You Need To Know About The National Health Service
· How Can Telephone Counselling Help Expats Dealing With Loneliness Abroad?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 27 February 2017
· Could Moving Abroad Be The Key To Improving Your Health?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 03 February 2017
Julie, RotterdamBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Expat Experiences: The Netherlands - Julie, Rotterdam
|Julie in Rotterdam|
Where, when and why did you move abroad?
I moved to Rotterdam end of April 2011 to follow my partner who has been transferred overthere.
What challenges did you face during the move?
I didn’t know I must register to the cityhall and give some papers to get the sofi number to be considered as citizen. I needed this number to find a work, to be paid, to open an account, to get an apartment.. for almost everything here. And also, as we are not married, I had to do a lot of paperwork to do more. He didn’t have to do it as expat.
How did you find somewhere to live?
We looked on the website of Pararius and took appointments to visit some apartments.. and found one after 2 months!
Are there many other expats in your area?
We don’t know. My colleagues told me it was an expat district, but I really have no idea.
What is your relationship like with the locals?
It is very fine. Except when guys stop us to know if we are not looking for any weed as we still have a French matriculation on our car.
What do you like about life where you are?
It is quiet and nice to live. The city is modern and also, you can go everywhere if you have a bicycle.
What do you dislike about your expat life?
It is quite difficult to do all the paper without getting any advice. The papers are all in Dutch, whereas they all speak English fluently. And it is difficult to make new friends and to have new marks to feel like a second home.
What advice would you give to anyone following in your footsteps?
To go directly to the information center and cityhall and get advice overthere to be sure not to miss anything important. Internet is also a good place to find answers.
What are your plans for the future?
To move again within 2 years as my partner is going to be transferred one more time.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.