±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus Financial Update 12 January 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 05 January 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 December 2016
· Expat Investment Trust Opportunities After The Brexit Vote
· Expat Focus Financial Update 15 December 2016
· Why Is Demand For European Property Climbing Among British Investors?
· Expat Focus Financial Update 01 December 2016
· Top Tax Tips For Expats Abroad
· Expat Focus Financial Update 23 November 2016
±Latest Health Articles
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 22 December 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 25 November 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 10 November 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 31 October 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 19 October 2016
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 30 September 2016
· Unusual Expat Illnesses And Injuries
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 14 September 2016
· 5 Places Where Healthcare Is Better Than The US
UtilitiesBack to top Back to main Skip to menu
Trinidad and Tobago - Utilities
Most homes will have only electrical appliances but there are a number of homes that have a domestic gas supply or that use appliances which run on bottled gas which can be delivered.
The water supply on the islands is provided by the Water and Sewerage Authority of Trinidad and Tobago, located in St Joseph in Trinidad. It is deemed to be safe to drink the tap water in the islands, although when venturing away from the main cities, it is advisable to use the bottled water, which is available at many outlets.
When becoming connected to the services, there may be a small deposit to pay, particularly for expats. The companies will require proof of residency, proof of tenancy or ownership of the property and personal identification. It may be that the estate agent arranging the sale or the rental of the property can arrange for the services to be connected but this will depend upon the estate agent. Expats should be prepared to contact the utility companies directly and should have all the necessary documentation ready to prevent any possible delays.
Expats should also be aware that electricity and water supplies are frequently interrupted. Power cuts are not uncommon and can last for several hours and the water supply is prone to leaks, which can prevent some homes receiving water. It is recommended for some homes – particularly those which are situated outside the main towns – to have large tanks on the property to ensure that a cut in supply will not affect them immediately. The more rural the property, the higher the chance of an interrupted service, although in recent years steps have been taken to improve the service.
The country has a Ministry of Public Utilities, which oversees all utility companies and who will deal with any consumer complaints if it cannot be resolved easily by the company involved.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.