±JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
±Compare Expat Providers
±Expat Focus Partners
±Latest Financial Articles
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 23 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Finance Update 14 March 2017
· Do Expats Really Need An Offshore Bank Account?
· American Living Abroad? Here's How To File Your Tax Return
· Where Do The World's Highest Paid Expats Live?
· Expat Focus Financial Update 08 March 2017
· 5 Reasons to Move to the Glittering Shores of Cyprus
· Expat Focus Financial Update 01 March 2017
· Expat Focus Financial Update 22 February 2017
±Latest Health Articles
· Why Expat Retirees Should Never Ignore Health Insurance
· Moving Abroad? Read Our Essential Health Checklist
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 16 March 2017
· Coming To The UK? Here's What You Need To Know About The National Health Service
· How Can Telephone Counselling Help Expats Dealing With Loneliness Abroad?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 02 March 2017
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 27 February 2017
· Could Moving Abroad Be The Key To Improving Your Health?
· Expat Focus International Healthcare Update 03 February 2017
How does a QROPS UK pension transfer overseas work? (Part one)Back to top Back to main Skip to menu
How does a QROPS UK pension transfer overseas work? (Part one)
- At a minimum your UK pension provider and the QROPS administrator must be involved.
- In the case of an occupational scheme, your pension might be administered by a financial services firm on behalf of your company; so your corporate pension administrator as well as the pension company representative might be involved.
- There may also be an intermediary or facilitator. Many firms that advertise UK pension transfer services do not actually administer a particular QROPS; rather, what they do is gather the necessary client information and advise the client as to the pension transfer process. The intermediary may work with a number of QROPS located in various jurisdictions, and therefore may be able to advise the client as to the best jurisdiction for his/her purposes.
- Once your pension has been transferred to the QROPS, you may wish to invest your money and at this point an investment advisor may be involved.
Now let's summarize the costs you may face when undertaking to transfer a UK pension to a QROPS:
- On the UK side there may be an administration fee from your pension provider. There may also be fees for withdrawing from certain types of investments or for cancelling your investment account.
- Intermediaries typically charge an up front fee for the pension transfer and may also (or instead) receive ongoing fees from the investments into which your transferred funds are placed once they are transferred to the QROPS.
- The QROPS administrator may also charge a transfer fee and/or may receive an ongoing administration fee either from you or from the investments into which you place your money within the QROPS.
- Investment advisors typically charge ongoing investment management fees and may also charge a one-time fee when each investment is purchased. So if you plan to invest your money within the QROPS then you will have these fees as well (but of course you would have similar fees in the UK pension plan). Often the ongoing fees are not spelled out - rather they are taken from your invested amounts over the course of time.
In addition to these direct costs, you should consider "opportunity cost". There are many good reasons to transfer your pension scheme to a QROPS: Typically there is no need to annuitize the pension, you can leave the residual amount to your heirs, you may be able to withdraw a greater lump sum than under UK regulations, and so on. However, you should also consider what you will be giving up, especially in the case of a final salary pension plan. This type of plan (also known as a defined benefit plan) typically gives you payments for life after you retire based upon the amount you were making when you left your employer. This could be a substantial amount and may be more than you could realize by transferring your pension and investing your money - thus leaving your pension savings open to the vagaries of investment markets.
One final potential cost to consider is that of taxation. You may be able to move your UK pension to a QROPS in a jurisdiction where you will benefit from a lower tax rate on the pension funds you withdraw, but tax issues can be complex. The tax treatment of your pension may depend upon the provisions of a tax treaty involving your country of residency and the UK (or your country of residency and the QROPS jurisdiction). By moving your pension from the UK to a QROPS in another jurisdiction you may be jeopardizing benefits available to you under a UK/country of residency tax treaty. This is the case, for example, for US residents who can benefit from tax treaty provisions in the UK/US treaty but who may lose these benefits by transferring to a QROPS in a country with which the US has no treaty.
Expat Health Insurance Partners
Our award-winning expatriate business provides health benefits to more than 650,000 members worldwide. In addition, we have helped develop world-class health systems for governments, corporations and providers around the world. We want to be the global leader in delivering world-class health solutions, making quality health care more accessible and empowering people to live healthier lives.
At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.
Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.