±Save On Expat Insurance

±Your Account

Create Account
and get our Guide to Moving Abroad - FREE! 


Forgotten password/username?

±Get Email Updates

Notify me when new content is added

±Social Media - Follow Us!

Visas, Residency, Immigration & Documentation

Taiwan - Visas, Residency, Immigration & Documentation

Page: 2/2
Resident Visas

If you are planning to work or study in Taiwan for a period exceeding 60 days, or wish to live in Taiwan on the basis of marriage to a Taiwan national, you are required to obtain a Resident Visa before travelling to Taiwan, although students can apply from within the country after entering on a Visitor Visa.

For those intending to work in Taiwan, it is necessary for their prospective employer to obtain a work permit on their behalf, and for this to be submitted with the Resident Visa application. Applicants are also required to submit their valid passport, 2 passport-sized photos, an application processing fee (details available from local embassy or representative office); and bank statements or other proof of sufficient funds to support themselves initially in Taiwan.

On arrival in Taiwan, foreign nationals with a Resident Visa must register as an Alien with the Foreign Affairs Police, and are required to carry their Alien Registration Card at all times.

Permanent Residence

Foreign nationals who have lived continuously in Taiwan for a period of at least 183 days in the previous 7 years prior to application, or during ten of the past twenty years, are eligible to apply for permanent residency, but must still apply for a work permit if they wish to work in Taiwan.

Foreigners married to Taiwan citizens can apply for permanent residency if they have spent at least 183 days in Taiwan during the five years prior to application, or during five of the previous ten years. They can apply for "open work permits" which allow them to take any job which does not require Taiwan citizenship.

Working Holiday Visas

Working holiday visas are available to enable foreign nationals aged between 18 and 30 to work in Taiwan for up to 180 days (extendable once), or to take a Chinese language course.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Expat Focus Preferred Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

At Bupa we have been helping individuals and families live longer, healthier, happier lives for over 60 years. We are trusted by expats in 190 different countries and have links with healthcare organisations throughout the world. So whether you're moving abroad for a change of career or a change of scene, with our international private health insurance you will always be in safe hands.


Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.

Previous Page Previous Page (1/2)