Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

Insurance, FX and international movers

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

From our tax, investment and FX partners

Advice !

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Canada.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:06 am

- Paul-F

Hello to you both,

Just a couple of things to add:

1. Most furnished housing and temporary accommodation providers do include all necessary bedding, towels and all other amenities required for your stay, other than food in the fridge.
(Although, many of them also provide a 'Welcome Basket' with many snacks, water and other items to get you started.)

Jim may be referring to private owners or smaller operations which might not support weekly housekeeping, linens etc. - but the large majority of corporate furnished housing providers will supply everything except the main food stock.

BUT (And here is the catch!)

2. In Ontario, there is legislation that makes it illegal for furnished housing suppliers to rent their units (including condos and townhomes) to customers for LESS THAN 30 days. This is due to International Hotel Chain lobbyists convincing all that the competition would be too fierce and damaging for short-term stay business.

(Apparently the provinces of British Columbia and Alberta were able to fight the legislation, because it is still legal for suppliers there to offer corporate furnished housing for stays less than 30 days...)

Therefore, with the exception of building operators that can have the entire building and all of it's units deemed 'commercial' (and then they are also subject to the hotel taxes accordingly), you cannot stay at Ontario furnished housing providers for less than 30 days.

So this means that Jim is absolutely correct to suggest that Suite-style or Long-term stay Hotel options are your best bet.

(It's a pity, because corporate furnished housing is often cheaper than the Suite-hotels and are often times located in a more residential setting which can add to the value of a short-stay visit...(plus you almost always gain square footage and the more comfortable separation of Sleeping and Living space in a furnished condo or townhome.)

Best of luck Roxanne, and keep those questions coming!


Paul and Jim,

Thank you for your input too. I would say that my choice of this accomodation would be based on the following factors :-

1)Whether the place is 'localized', ie allows me to experience the Canadian
way of living and working.

2)Near to amenities for me to go there everyday and mingle with the

3)Convenient, with all facilities, though I can always buy certain items.

4)Last but not least, the cost of staying there.

I will think through again. Thank you, gentlemen,...........


Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:28 am

Hi Roxanne,

Here is a list of furnished housing providers in Toronto that are allowed to offer customers to stay less than 30 days (because of their designation as a 'commercial lodging'):

Town Inn Suites - (Downtown)

Toronto Suites - (Midtown)

Glen Grove Suites - (Midtown etc.)

Now, I must include the disclaimer that the above sites would be considered average-mid standard in quality of building and units. All 3 of the above buildings are original (30-80 years old) buildings that have been converted to furnished stay units. Each of these locations have both the charm and challenges that go along with older buildings in established neighbourhoods.

The above units will probably range in price $69-$119 per day. (But check the websites...)

You can go wayyy up in price, quality and amenities in the 30day+ stay markets which supports newer, fancier condo developments. The average price for a newer, luxury location is $4,500 per month but it also varies. Some of the more original units can fetch upwards of $10K-$15K per month in rent - and include a luxurious experience to be certain (if you are fortunate enough to partake).

Hope this helps, any questions just let us know.



Toronto Executive Suites - Info: Here


Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:31 am

Hi Jim and Paul,

How are you again ? I have some questions pertaining to Canada again :-

1) Are non-residents allowed to purchase properties in Canada ?

2) What 'special arrangements' do non-residents have to go through when
purchasing properties in Canada ?

3) Do Canadian proeprty prices appreciate, generally ?

4) For university education, do non-residents have to pay more compared
to permanent residents ?

Thank you, gents,.........


Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:37 am


Non Canadians can buy a house or land/ property in Canada, BUT this does not give them any advantage in a Immigration application. You still have to go thru the application process, and be accepted by the Canadian Government as a Immigrant.

No special requirements, except being able to afford the purchase, and being able to get financing if you don't have the entire price in your bank account.

Yes the value of homes does increase over time.

International students do pay much higher rates, than Canadian citizens, and that is because they have never paid into the Canadian income tax system, which supports all of our Universities directly.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.


Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:48 pm


Thank you for your advice.

Do non-residents need to obtain permission from any Canadian Government body, eg, the Foreign Investment Committee, or the Land Office, etc, before they are allowed to purchase properties ?

Yes, I am aware that having a property in Canada does not provide me any Immigration advantage.

For the University Education, will I be able to enjoy the same privileges accorded to a citizen if I have PR-status ?

Thanks again,.......


Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:05 am

For more detailed information about buying property in Canada , please read this website.


Yes if you have Premanent Resident status in Canada , you can attend University, provided that you meet the course requirments, and can pay the costs.

Jim B.


Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Re: Advice !

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:37 am


Thank again for your reply and the website. I'll look in the website myself.

For my question on Uni Education, what I meant to ask was : would the university fees and charges be the same as a Citizen's when I am accorded PR-status ?

Of course, I perfectly understand that we must fulfill the Course Requirements and be able to pay the costs too.

By the way, can you please name me, offhand, some of the best and well-known universities in Canada ?


Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Page 4 of 5
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy