JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

How do you keep green?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Turkey.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

How do you keep green?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Keeping Green.

How do you do it in your part of the world? In some ways it’s easier than others, for example we have always had men going around rifling through the rubbish containers on the streets. They pick out all the bottles, cardboard, glass, jars, newspapers, paper, plastic etc and take it to a central point to sell. The waste pickers make a pittance from this but one sees them winter and summer pushing their makeshift carts, using sticks to poke through the bins to see what they can find.
Ever since I realized that was what they were doing, I’ve put all the collectable rubbish in a separate bag and leave it on the bin rather than in it. I have noticed other neighbours doing this too.
Some local authorities in TR do have projects collecting plastic bottles and so forth as well as garden waste but the collection system is rather hit and miss so it’s not worth the effort on the part of the householder.
For household cleaning I fill an old spray bottle with half vinegar and half water, this is a useful general cleaner. I use it most of the time and occasionally use a splash of bleach or detergent for a thorough germ killing bonanza!
I have never found tap water filters in TR so we buy water from Spring Water Stations run by the municipality. We fill up several jerry cans a couple of times per week. It is cheaper to buy drinking water like this. Some people do drink the tap water in Izmir but I can’t bring myself to. We do buy bottled water sometimes but try to recycle the bottles as much as is healthily possible. I’ve bought myself a steel flask from KIPA (Tesco in the UK) and I use that as often as I can.
We are pleased that our local IKEA collects used batteries and light bulbs so it is much more convenient to pop them in the containers situated in the shop. Apparently there are collection points at the municipality office but they are difficult to access.
I only ever do a wash on 30; usually it’s enough to do a cold wash. We line dry even in winter. I don’t own a clothes dryer.
Public transport in Turkey is excellent, cheap and practical. As a woman I feel safe travelling about on buses, ferries, mini buses, the metro and taxis. This is actually where the country excels in being environmentally friendly! Most large companies, for e.g. the Renault car factory, run service buses for the staff. Even smaller firms do, so it really cuts out the one person one car commuter run! All the schools from primary until high school have school buses.
Last but not least I got hold of some of those huge IKEA bags and for a couple of years I’ve been using them for our weekly shop. I’m very pleased with them and I only take a couple of plastic bags for dangerous ‘leaky’ type articles.
As they say, ‘Every little helps!’

If you have any ideas about keeping green, it would be great if you could share them with us! Looking forward to hearing from you!

• rubbish _collector.jpg
  • Description:
  • Filesize: 16.03 KB
  • Viewed: 3293 Time(s)
  • rubbish _collector.jpg

Ikeepforgetting
Forum Leader - Turkey
Forum Leader - Turkey

Re: How do you keep green?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi,

We keep green by recycling as much as we can within the home.

For example
WaterWe need to run at least 5Ltrs of water, in the bathrooms, before it becomes warm. We collect this unwanted cold water in 5L water containers and use to water the plants.
Plastic bottlesThe big 5L plastic water containers present a wonderful opportunity for the green imagination to run riot! So apart from above
- Cut bottle in to three parts. The bottom section can be used as a drip tray. the middle section can be used as a collar to protect your seedlings in the ground as can the top part. The lids I use either to place underneath plant pots like little feet to keep them off the ground, or I use in the bottom of plant pots to assist drainage.
- 5L Plastic bottles can also be used to make your own mini cold frames. Cut bottle in two. Bottom part used as plant pot and top part as cover which can be held in place by a small cane (stick).
Glass jars
Recycled as storage containers, or used for homemade pickles and jams
Unwanted Clothes
I descreetly hang unwanted cloths over the rails at the local bins. The minimum wage in Portugal is really low so these normally disapear quite quickly. Alternatively, I reuse some as dusters etc etc

The list goes on... Smile

In a nutshell before anything goes in the bin I try to think of an alternative use for each piece of "rubbish"

Carole
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Every little helps so I do very little. Embarassed

Twofilas

Twofilas
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:32 pm

We now have natural gas in our area so we've got connected. It's much friendlier to the environment than coal central heating and those split heater/ACs.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. Oscar Wilde

Ikeepforgetting
Forum Leader - Turkey
Forum Leader - Turkey

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy