JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving now, marrying later!

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Turkey.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Moving now, marrying later!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:51 am

My Fiancee and I are moving to Turkey in a few months, but not getting married until September. I will have my residence and work permits. We were thinking of applying for hers once we are married. Until then she will be a visitor. Having lived in many countries I know that it can be difficult if you do not arrive married. Any advaice and suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you.

Turkeybound

Re: Moving now, marrying later!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:45 am

Hi and welcome to here! Smile Hope you enjoy the Forum.
You don't mention the nationality of your fiancee or yourself, I assume you are both non Turkish.
I take it you will be working and living in a city so the fact that you two are not married won't be noticed, there is no need to concern yourselves over that point. It's the same as in any European city, people just get on w/their own business. It is not worth mentioning the fact .
To be honest there'll be other issues you'll come up against and will need to deal with as and when they crop up!
Do try and learn some Turkish but don't use it in your business dealings, unless it is perfect.
Enjoy your time in TR and at the week ends take your fiancee to see all the lovely sights! Smile BTW where will you be based?
Good luck.
Let us know how you get on.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. Oscar Wilde

Ikeepforgetting
Forum Leader - Turkey
Forum Leader - Turkey

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 am

I Keep Forgetting,
Thanks you so very much for your response. Yes, I might not have been too clear. Both British, I will have the appropriate paperwork to live and work, but she will not. Therefore, she will be on a tourist visa. As you siad, no one will care. However, will there be any problems later, when we do marry and I apply for her residency? Thank you for the other tips. We will certainly get the phrase books.

Turkeybound

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:37 am

- Turkeybound

I will have the appropriate paperwork to live and work, but she will not. Therefore, she will be on a tourist visa. As you siad, no one will care. However, will there be any problems later, when we do marry and I apply for her residency?

With the tourist visa your fiancee needs to make sure she doesn't overstay! Check the dates carefully- extract from TR Consulate- TOURIST VISA FOR UK PASSPORT HOLDERS OR UK TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

If you are a British Citizen you can obtain tourist visa either at the port of entry in Turkey for £10.00 or from this Consulate General for £ 68.00.

The sticker visa obtained at the port of entry in Turkey will grant you 90 days stay with multiple entry to Turkey starting from the date of issue. (eg: the sticker visa issued on 5 May 2010 expires on 2 August 2010).

and this- Please note: tourist visas do not give you the right to take up paid or unpaid employment or to reside, or to study (including student exchange program) or to establish yourself in business in Turkey.

After your marriage she can apply for the residence permit. I guess this will be done from TR, you need to go along to your local police HQ and apply there. If you are applying while out of the country, you need to contact the TR Consulate. Make sure to apply before the tourist visa runs out!
Good luck.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. Oscar Wilde

Ikeepforgetting
Forum Leader - Turkey
Forum Leader - Turkey

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy