JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Weathering The Weather

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Weathering The Weather

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:14 am

by Expat Focus columnist, Anne O'Connell

I have vivid memories of the brutal snowstorms of my childhood; I have clung to my cat while hunkered down in my bathroom listening to the howling winds of hurricane Katrina in Florida; I’ve sheltered my eyes from the stinging sands of the shamal of Dubai and, lo’ and behold, now we’ve got the monsoons in Thailand.

Inevitably in every polite conversation that we expats have with family and friends back home the question of weather always comes up. What’s our obsession with weather? Maybe it’s the power it has over us as we helplessly watch things blow away, riverbanks overflow or sheets of ice form. I swore when we left Canada that I’d never scrape another windshield again. Those icicles hanging from the eaves outside my mom’s kitchen window in Canada were beautiful when they captured the refracted light in just the right way but as my mom always says, “It’s lovely to look at as long as you don’t have to go out in it.”

I felt that very same way the day before I left Phuket for my summer sojourn to Canada. We had to make that dreaded trip into Phuket Town to immigration (I know, I can see everyone cringe… it’s the one thing that’s worse than having to go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles in any country, but that’s another story). On this particular day, the last day before I was to leave, the heavens had opened, the wind was howling and the rain was horizontal. The perfect day to read a good book or do a chick flick marathon. I could feel a whine coming on, as I knew we had to go out in ‘it’...

Article continues here

Carole
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy