JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Samantha Shares Her Experience of Expat Life in Bangkok

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Samantha Shares Her Experience of Expat Life in Bangkok

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:07 am

I relocated to Bangkok, Thailand in November 2010 to support my partner who had taken a 6 month secondment here. We were due to go back to the UK after the 6 months was finished, but we both loved it here and he was lucky enough to get offered a permanent job so we decided to move here permanently.

Well, after the initial 6 months I went back to the UK to sort out our lives there; we had a lot to pack up and I had planned 3 months to complete everything as we had a dog and 2 cats that would be coming to live in Thailand too. However, I soon realised that I didn’t want to be in the UK without my partner for that long, so I did it all in 6 weeks. It was a very emotional time, being away from my partner, packing up our lives in the UK & sometimes questioning what we had decided to do.

I have a 93 year old grandmother in the UK, telling her our plans and leaving her behind was probably one of the hardest decisions.

How did you find somewhere to live?

Once we had made the decision that we were going to stay in Bangkok, I started looking at property immediately. It’s not easy & a bit of a minefield initially. But luckily we found a really lovely local agent who took great care of us & would pick us up to view properties. We did find our original ‘dream’ house with her & were all set to move in on my return from the UK once renovations had been completed. However, it wasn’t to be, as whilst I was in the UK the Landlord decided to rent the house to someone else – we hadn’t paid a deposit yet & the contract was in the process of being completed. We were both devastated and my partner had the task of finding us a new place to live (as my return flight was booked and my arrival imminent) whilst also trying to focus on a new job; it wasn’t easy for either of us and Skype became a wonderful media for property discussions!

When a colleague of my partners found out what had happened to us he introduced us to another agent who was just brilliant. She listened to what we both wanted & found us the perfect house first time! I didn’t see the house until I returned to Bangkok (except for 2 photos!) and fell in love with it.

We have been in our house 1 year now and the landlord continues to be very supportive and helpful when we have any issues - during the 2011 flooding situation they were very concerned about our safety throughout and delivered sandbags when there were none available in Bangkok. Our agent has continued to be great and helps as an intermediary between us and the landlord if we have any issues. It’s been very comforting to know that we have such great support, especially when renting a property.

Are there many other expats in your area?

No. We live in a very Thai neighbourhood, which is exactly what we wanted. There are lots of gated complexes in Bangkok, which can be good for security but can also isolate you from the experience of living here. Our neighbours are far better than any security guards! Our house does have an alarm, but we have never felt the need to use it. We live in a very safe soi (street) and the locals all speak to us (in Thai and English) so we feel very comfortable here; this is...

Read more about expat life in Bangkok

Carole
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy