JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Thinking about Thai retirement

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 

Re: Thinking about Thai retirement

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 am

Hi John,
There are a few ways of getting a long term visa; educational, retirement, or to marry a Thai citizen. You will require a lawyer, we can put you in touch with an inexpensive one who will sort everything out.
Outside of Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket and of course the islands you can live very comfortably on only $1200. You can survive decently on $900.
As for language, the best method is to learn to read first, you can find out how to do this at learnthaionline.com (contrary to what you would expect learning to read first helps you to speak more clearly and absorb Thai without having to undergo much studying)
There are plenty of expat clubs, business networking clubs, chambers of commerce, voluntary groups, Christian community's and even an active Jewish community! There are plenty of golf clubs and lots of other sport and arts and music activity’s! It’s also very easy to meet beautiful Thai women even if you’re not particularly good looking, many of whom speak English (this is a bit of a minefield so please check out our website before you start dating) .
Koh Samui is very beautiful and yes, much more expensive because everything has to be ferried across, and also VERY touristy. Many people love living there but some people find it can get very boring after a few months.
Isan is the name of the north-eastern region of Thailand where they speak a local dialect. Most people can understand central Thai. It’s very agricultural and if you enjoy the very slow paced and isolated lifestyle then this is for you. It is said that the Isan girls are extremely beautiful and are very loyal wives.
Thailand has 3 seasons, hot, very hot and wet and hot! It is a lot cooler in the north; and can get quite cool in winter. (15°c / 59°f is about the coolest it gets) Try not to come between March and May them being the hottest months, as it will take you a while to adapt to the heat. It gets so hot the entire country has a giant water fight to celebrate the religious holiday Songkran in the middle of April, everyone throws freezing cold water at each other! Even the cops get drenched!

Finding a housekeeper/cook is very easy to do and very cheap (not more than $10 a day!) although you’ll find you won’t need a cook because you can eat out at delicious Thai and western restaurants every day very cheaply.

Have a look at our website where there is a ton load of valuable insights about living in Thailand at abetterlifethailand.com and join our online community where we will personally respond to any other questions you may have.

abetterlifethailand

Re: Thinking about Thai retirement

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 am

I have been living and working in Thailand for just over 2 years now and love the place. I'm thinking of retireing here now as the compony I work for is going to close in the next 3 months. Can anyone let me know just waht do I have to do to get my visa and work permit changed.

Many thanks.

Paul

swifty01

Page 3 of 3
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy