JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Very early Costa Rica consideration for a move

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Costa Rica.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Very early Costa Rica consideration for a move

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:15 pm

We are in the VERY early stages of discussion about our retirement plans. I'm 57 and my wife is 51. We are moderate income folks looking for a relaxed yet exciting new venture to finish a wonderful life. We are planning a trip to Costa Rica this year but actually have no idea where to even begin geographically. While we love the ocean (we live in Florida!), we are fearful the price of real estate might stretch our limits. We would not mind a little drive to get there. I guess I'm looking for suggestions as to "where" and do not need to be "city dwellers" at all. At the same time, we are not lone wolfs either! Thanks in advance for any info.

hansboomer

Re: Very early Costa Rica consideration for a move

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:00 am

There are plenty of options in Costa Rica, there are even a few gated communities specifically catering to people in your situation. It is not mentioned too often in promotional brochures but there are some drawbacks to living at the beach:
- it's pretty damn hot, if you aren't drinking rum punch by the pool
- the climate is very hard on appliances
- there isn't much to do except eat out and catch rays by the ocean.

So many people opt for an in between area. On the Caribbean side you have Guapiles where you can get the caribbean beaches quickly and be 45 minutes from San Jose too. On the Pacific side Atenas, Grecia, San Ramon, Esparza and Miramar are a few areas that are popular for the same reason. Atenas and Grecia are really popular right now, but prices aren't outrageous with $150,000 to $200,000 buying you a very nice place with a substantial amount of land.

San Ramon, Esparza and Miramar are closer to the beach and even more reasonably priced.

Then if you are talking about land behind the beach but in the beach areas like Guanacaste or the Southern Pacific your options are even more varied. So take your time, don't feel like you have to buy now or you'll miss out (especially when someone tells you that). Visit a few times and find out what area you like and its pros and cons and then start looking at property.

Russ Martin
Proprietor www.wheelscr.com
Helping expats buy a vehicle since 2006 * Used or New *
All types, we take you through the process from start to finish, quickly and painlessly.

AE_Russ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:01 pm

Hi Hans,
There are many places you can find in Costa Rica whit those descriptios, but, if you are looking for a place near of the coast, maybe you can start searching arround de pacific area, wich have an increasing comercial, cultural, and touristic development.
I live arround this area, at Playa Hermosa, where many americans are living rigth now.
If you need some advices, just write for

Pura vida!

Xavier

Xavier

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:39 am

Greetings All!
My wife and I (Sherry and Reid) have just joined the forum and are beginning to investigate CR as a retirement locale. I am 56 and you can ask Sherry her age when you meet her :-). We have planned a 2 week trip to begin our look-see, starting 3/14 in San Jose. At this point, we are planning to look around as many areas as possible in the time we have to try and get a flavor for somewhere that may draw us back for deeper investigation. Any input or advice we receive from any of you will be greatly appreciated.

TTFN

R&S

pathfinder

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Hans, You sound like you are looking for middle of the road place, there are many places here, a good start would be to check around Palmares, San Ramon, Grecia, Naranjo and Sarchi areas.
Real estate is going up all the time but there are always good deals popping up, the best way to buy is to check out which places you like best and be able to identify a good deal when you see one.

Sherry and Reid: A good place to start would be the San José outskirts and the suberbs, then work your way out to Heredia, Alajuela, Cartago and finally the beaches or mountain areas.
There is a lot too choose from so you have to kind of make a list of what you like and don´t like , two weeks time is ok to preview some parts, but not very much time .

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson
Attorney at Law/Real Estate Broker
KEARNEY LAWSON & Assoc.
www.attorneykearney.com
attorneykearney @ yahoo.com
Ph:(506)8841-0007 Ph/Fax:(506)2232-1014

AttorneyKearney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy