JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Politics and Safety of Travel in Thailand

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Politics and Safety of Travel in Thailand

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:10 pm

In June-July, I am planning a trip with my girlfriend to Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya, Cha-Am District, and Hua Hin District. I have heard a lot about political unrest in Thailand. What does the situation look like from inside the country? Should I expect any problems associated with the political unrest? Is it safe to travel around? Can you offer any suggestions for safe travel?

Thank You

tbahder

Re: Politics and Safety of Travel in Thailand

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:55 am

Hello. These days the political protests are few and far between. Just keep aware of what is going on and stay away from any protest areas you hear about. Even when my family visited earlier this year during the height of the protesting, we had no problems traveling around. So I wouldn't be worried about it!

Be aware that Phuket and Pattaya are known areas that can be problematic for tourists. As beautiful as they are, this is where much of the crime is located for this country. If you use common sense, you shouldn't have any problems, but there are many tourist scams in both these areas. I don't know much about Cha-Am district but my wife and I do enjoy visiting Hua Hin. Personally, I would spend little time in Pattaya and Phuket and head to some of the smaller islands such as Koh Lanta, another one of our favourites.

We never worry about our safety while traveling around Thailand but we rarely frequent bars in high-risk areas and are seldom walking around anywhere after midnight. Any time we read about problems here, one or the other is involved!

You can check out other aspects of Thailand on my blog thaicanuck.com

thaicanuck

Re: Politics and Safety of Travel in Thailand

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:25 am

Why do OP's never return in this forum?

As I'm sure you will be aware the situation has changed somewhat recently. Thailand is now under military rule and is likely to remain so for some time. You will be quite safe, there is an undertaking to protect foreigners.

Don't know where you're from, but you could could check the UK Foreign Office website for latest travel advice. (or that of your own country)

If you want to see some of Cha Am and Hua Hin before going it might be helpful to search youtube for "JC Cha am" or Hua Hin.

I was in HH a few months ago. The beach is hidden from the town. Its a nice town but somewhat spoiled by the very busy main road right through the middle.

Lancashirelad
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy