JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Low living costs in Asia can mean a boost for expat teachers

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Low living costs in Asia can mean a boost for expat teachers

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Teaching in Asia has become a popular choice, not only with gap year travellers looking to extend their adventures, but also with expatriate spouses and professional teachers seeking new horizons.

Professional teachers working in international schools in Asia can command attractive packages often including health insurance, accommodation assistance and allowances as well as generous holidays. Competitive rates of pay combined with the lower cost of living enjoyed in many parts of Asia mean that expat teachers can find themselves with cash left over at the end of the month and a unique opportunity to begin saving early for retirement.

Expat teachers’ savings will be subject to different regulations to those in their home countries – there are tax advantages to working abroad that can provide a welcome boost to any expat’s savings. Savings programmes need not be complicated but they do need to be well thought out. It is important to be aware of the specific advantages available to expatriates on which a professional financial planner can advise.

UK pension holders may be able to make use of the Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (QROPS). Living abroad and transferring an existing pension can result in huge tax savings. QROPS can be complicated to navigate and there are strict qualifying criteria, however a professional financial consultant can ensure that a suitable QROPS is utilised correctly.

Teaching in Asia can be a superbly satisfying experience, an adventure and an excellent introduction to other cultures. It is also a fabulous opportunity to boost savings and move closer to reaching retirement goals.

Please feel free to contact me if you require anymore information.

Rory_Infinity

Re: Low living costs in Asia can mean a boost for expat teachers

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 am

Hi. I have an associate degree in Business. Do you need to have American teaching predentials to teach English in Thailand? Thank you....Tom Adams

starbucksgeek

Re: Low living costs in Asia can mean a boost for expat teachers

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:40 am

I agree. I taught in a bilingual school in BKK, was paid $ 800 a month and I was able to live decently. Certifications like TEFL and TESOL are required.

sanuk143

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy