±A - Join Our Community

Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

±A - Cigna

±A - Read Our Guide

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

±A - Compare Quotes and Save

Find the best health insurance provider or foreign currency transfer specialist by comparing free quotes

±A - Listen to the Podcast

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs sunscribe today!

±A - Expert Financial

From our tax, investment and FX partners

±A - ExpatFocus Partners

Expat Focus Partners
Become a Partner. Click Here.

Going to France on a student visa. Marrying/ dropping out?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in France.
Subforums: Property for Sale/Rent

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Going to France on a student visa. Marrying/ dropping out?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 am

Hello everyone, I'm planning on moving to France on a long stay student visa and marry my long time boyfriend (French citizen) shortly after. I saw on the service public website that I should be able to get the vie privée et familiale CDS after we are married and shortly upon the start of my second year in France.

Would I be able to drop out of school once I'm on the vie privée et familiale CDS and continue my stay in France? I know that for the student visa, you need to be in school for your visa to be valid, as studying is defined as the reason for your stay. But for the vie privée et familiale CDS, the reason for your stay is obviously defined under a different reason, so to me, it would make sense that I shouldn't run into any issues regarding dropping out when I'm on the vie privée et familiale CDS, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want any other unnecessary advice on whether or not I should be doing this, etc.. I would simply like to know if this is possible, legal, not too difficult to do, and if there would be any issues with the process. Thanks!

A little bit about me: I'm an American citizen currently residing in Chicago. My French fluency is B2 (upper intermediate). Currently in school and absolutely miserable in it. Signed up to study abroad in France with hopes of eventually dropping out while abroad. I have been having great success with an online business and I've chosen to work on it full time. Budget wise, I have a good few thousand dollars. Accommodation wise, my boyfriend's family all lives together in one home, and this is where I will be staying.

Again, I only want responses that will tell me about the difficulty and legality behind changing from the long stay student visa to the vie privée et familiale CDS, and whether or not my stay in France would be altered if I were to drop out once I am on the vie privée et familiale CDS. Any responses nagging me on what I should/ should not be doing with my personal life will not be accepted.


Page 1 of 1

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Bupa Global

Bupa Global is one of the world’s largest international health insurers. We offer direct access to over 1.2m medical providers worldwide, and we settle directly with them so you don’t have to pay up front for your treatment. We provide access to leading specialists without the need to see your family doctor first and ensure that you have the same level of cover wherever you might be, home or away.

Cigna International

Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.