JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Thailand, need advice

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: Moving to Thailand, need advice

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi all: Confirmed that Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Bank of Ayudhaya and Kasikorn Bank (Thai Farmers Bank) have branches in Krabi. With exchange counter. Dont worry.
Take care
Khunsee

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:14 pm

second the notion on the Banks listed by khunsee. I can confirm their existance in Krabi - but with my eyes. I drive past them nearly every day. Smile

-RilINjUH!

ps. Raylay beach is a great place, you are gonna love it!

rilly

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:19 pm

by the way peridot: When did the US start using simcards? about time we jumped on board with the rest of the world. Make sure your phone is tri-band - whatever that means.

rilly

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:42 pm

- peridot

1. Getting a few belongings to Thailand (just 2 or 3 medium boxes) the cheapeast way. I will be moving to Railei Beach (Krabi province, but only reachable by boat, though just a quick 5 minute boat ride from the mainland side).

Peridot -

Reasonable question, and one I asked myself as I was preparing to move here.
Now that I've been here several years the question is much easier to answer.
The cheapest way -- and what I would have done then if I had known what I know now -- is forget the boxes, all of them!
Simply put an ATM card in your pocket, bring a change of clothes and toothbrush in a carry-on bag, and go.
Everything one needs for daily living is available once you arrive in Bangkok.

You mentioned US$500 just for shipping those boxes.
Well, US$500 will go a long, long, way at any shopping centre here.
For example, in my boxes I brought some of my favorite books.
Here in Bangkok, within 15 minutes walk of my front door, there are 7(!) bookshops with new and used books in English.
Convinced me yet again, leave everything back there and buy what you need once you get to Bangkok.

2. Can I take the mobile phone I'm using in the States and sign up with a Thai company and just switch out the SIM card to use the same phone?

No. Different system, different frequencies, different everything.
A decent mobile phone in Bangkok-- not a show piece, but adequate -- costs US$50-70, including SIM card.

3. Is there an international bank where I can use the same bank in Thailand and in the States?

No. City Bank and Bangkok Bank have "correspondent" relationships with branches in the US, but, really, they are separate businesses.
And the "Thai way" of banking can be very different.
Much easier to bring your ATM card and get your money that way.

If you need a bank here for some reason, open an account here, and use bank wire transfers (NOT Western Union) to bring money over.

I hope this is helpful for planning your move to Thailand.

- Peter

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy