JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Thailand

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Moving to Thailand

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:39 am

I am currently living and working the UK. I travelled to Thailand after graduating from University and I am planning to return in August this year. I loved the people and the culture and can't wait to return.

The more I think about my holiday, the more I start to consider the possibility of moving to Thailand to live and work for 6 to 12 months. I find the idea if doing so really exciting but also quite scary. I am not naive and I realise that it won't all be great fun and gorgeous beaches. At the same time I am a bit bored of my rountine 9 to 5 job in the in the UK and feel like I need to do something different.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? For those of you that have moved out there, what made you make the move? How did you feel when you got there? Is it that hard to find work and accomodation out there?

Thanks

clare25

Re: Moving to Thailand

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi clare25.

I originally moved here for the same reason: I was making great money doing the 9 to 5 gig (it was more like 7 to 7 actually) but it was a grind.

I came here originally to become a scuba instructor, did that for exactly 2 weeks, and then the tsunami struck, the east coast.. destroying, amongst many other things, the dive industry.. so i started teaching English.

If you are thinking of moving here, it is very possible to live in a beach type area like I do, and teach English, there are always loads of jobs doing that. It is always helpful if you have a college degree in order to accomplish this. You also are going to need to be willing to stay for near a year or more. Finding accomodation is extremely easy everywhere i have lived or been in Thailand, especially if you take a job with a school because all of the Thai teachers have connections or friends with a place to rent.

Don't be afraid.. just know what you are getting yourself into: You are not going to make squat for money over here, and if you teach full-time, you will not have much time for beaching it, but still, life is very good here. Good enough for me to leave a near-six figure job to make a 5 figure income (in baht) over here in T-Land.

If you need specifics on teaching, check ajarn.com, but honestly, the best thing to do is just to get your butt over here and look around/ask farangs about their schools/ etc. OR you can ask me or others here.

It really is not as scary a jump as you may think!

-RilINjUh!

rilly

Re: Moving to Thailand

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:10 pm

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you were the same situation that I am in now. In orer to teach English do you need any teaching experience? I have a degree but no experince of teaching or working with kids?

If I got a job in a bar or hotel would earn me enough to get by?

Also, once out there how easy is it to meet people?

Thanks

clare25

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy