JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Bangkok, starting a business, advice anyone?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Moving to Bangkok, starting a business, advice anyone?

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:52 am

I plan to move to Bangkok in September 2006. I intend to start my own thai business. I have a number of ideas which I will persue but the initial will be to set up a design agency here, confident I will keep clients I already have in England and I will gain clients from further afield in the near future.

I am confident I can live here comfortably. I am aiming big and in the future if successful the bangkok office will serve as a head office for sales offices further afield. I want to train people in thailand, approach local unis etc.

Right if anyones still reading... heres my issues.

I need to register a company. Planning to use a well established agency whos costs ecumulate to about 60000thb, this includes visa, registration taxes, fees, 3 month virtual office etc etc. Has anyone tried this?

When I arrive in Bangkok I will have a serviced flat to live with security etc. Is this going to be secure enougth to store my 1,000,000thb of design equipment? Can I get insurance for such items in thailand?

Are you a successfull farang entrepeneur in Bangkok? From this article it would appear they dont exist:
www.stickmanbangkok.co...der37.html
I don't really buy into this though. There is hirdles to jump in life, jump them! But if someone knows otherwise? I'd rather not get shafted!

Ok finaly I am not coming to Thailand to "get rich" I was going to do that where ever I live... I coming to escape the cold, for the food, its a small world ive got to go somewhere, and of course a girl! Its really bad I have to say this but no shes not a bar girl!

I would really appreciate advice from people who have done any of what I want to do and /or have answers to some of my questions.

Best Regards

Emu

I wish I was what I was when I wished I was what I am

emu360

Re: Moving to Bangkok, starting a business, advice anyone?

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:54 pm

If you need to find a good lawyer in Bangkok, i know an American who is a qualified Thai lawyer, having lived there for 40 yrs.He will be able to tell you everything you need to know.
My email is siddlang @ bigpond.com good luck.

HappyD
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:26 pm

- emu360

I plan to move to Bangkok in September 2006. I intend to start my own thai business. ... [snip] ... to set up a design agency here, confident I will keep clients I already have in England and I will gain clients from further afield in the near future.

Emu360 -

After their first taste of Thailoand, many men ask such questions as these.
You are wise to ask and think before you jump in.
I am a retired businessman now living in Bangkok.
Let's see if I can offer you some food for thought on your topic here.

Your questions do not seem to spring from a carefully prepared business plan.
They seem to come from a business dream.
Have you worked here in Thailand before?
Have you ever done significant amount of business in Thailand?
My hunch, based on trying to read between the lines of your post, is you have no first-hand experience working or doing business in Thailand.

I want to train people in thailand, approach local unis etc.

Have you ever trained Thais before?
Do you have any experience trying to sell design services to Thais?
I doubt it -- or else you would be going about this plan in a completely different manner.

I need to register a company....[snip]... Has anyone tried this?

Yes, thousands of other foreigners before you.
There are numerous legal offices here who can handle everything for you, including serviced offices.
Google will find them for you.
Several phone consultations with some of them, before you pull up stakes at home, would be money wisely invested.

When I arrive in Bangkok I will have a serviced flat to live with security etc. Is this going to be secure enougth to store my 1,000,000thb of design equipment? Can I get insurance for such items in thailand?

1 million baht sounds like a big number, until you realize it is only enough for one basic design station/computer.
An experienced businessman would be wondering not about insurance, but about where to find the working capital to run your business for the 3-5 years it will take to get established.

Are you a successfull farang entrepeneur in Bangkok? From this article it would appear they dont exist:
www.stickmanbangkok.co...der37.html
I don't really buy into this though.

Whether you "buy into" or not is irrelevant.
What are the facts of the matter?
From the way in which you have framed your inquiry here, it's clear to me you are "thinking positively", but not thinking realistically.
For example, you have not even questioned whether your chosen field of endeavor is allowed to foreigners or not.
Also, you have not even touched on the topic of corruption, favours, obligations and connections -- the water in the river of Thai business.

Finally, you mentioned a Thai girl who seems to be lurking somewhere in the background.
Have you spent much time in Thailand yet?
Do you have experience with Thai people in both business and personal relationships?
Or are you "following your heart" with this one Thai girl?
I can't help but wonder if this Thai girl is the seed for gestating this dream.

Thailand is one of the best places on earth to go for holiday.
Also, one of the best for retirement.
But for earning one's living in an independent business there are many easier, less risky locations.

- Peter
Bangkok

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:38 am

Ok thanks for the reply peter4

You are correct my questions do not come from a carefully prepared business plan. I am yet to develop a business plan for my conquest in Thailand. My post was to research the concerns I currently have about my move to Thailand. A business plan specifically for my thailand business will come in due time.

Your hunch is correct, I have not done any significant business in Thailand and I have never trained thai's.

"the facts" of the matter is that I am thinking positive, I am aware that my chosen field "high-end interactive design" is afield that is allowed to foreigners.

I am aware of corruption. Lets face it one of the most corrupt nations in the world is considered to be the most powerful. But if I was worried about the realities of the world it would be a boring life - or one with a straight jacket!

And the thai "its not what you know its who you know" - But this happens everywhere doesnt it?

Ive searched google and have also been to a few agencies in Bangkok, this is where I get my approximate 60000 figure from. Im just after someone who has done this! As I can imagine it cant be as easy as paying the money and you are sorted! I was just wondering if anyone had any experiances.

I am still worried about my insurance on my design equipment. While the future is important my immediate livelihood takes presidence.

Anyway Peter4 an interesting perspective from a retired business man who I will assume has not done business in Thailand nor has much experiance of this. But I appreciate your comments.

I wish I was what I was when I wished I was what I am

emu360

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:33 pm

I lived in thailand for 14 years...And i suggest keep your nose clean,Dont up set any thais and your be safe.
Dont open a resturant or bar,As you can not own one out there.
Pay off so called police to keep you safe as they say.
learn the laugage.And find out the best lawyer you can get,but not a thai one.
And after all that (CHOCK DEE),GOOD LUCK...
clara

sendandwear

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy