Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

Insurance, FX and international movers

The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

From our tax, investment and FX partners

Expat Focus Partners

Become a Partner. Click Here.

Health Care

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Spain.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Re: Health Care

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:59 pm

Avocado - That's interesting. Are you saying that not only is the DWP happy for you to remain in the UK NI system whilst resident (and presumably tax resident) in Spain, but that they will issue an E106 too? For how long?

Normally an E106 lasts for a maximum of 2 years, but that's for those no longer paying UK NI. If you continue to pay UK NI, will the E106 last indefinitely?


Re: Health Care

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:25 pm

I don't have all the answers yet.
I spoke to them on the phone yesterday and explained my situation of working for a uk company whilst residing in Spain and they said to send them all my details, employer details, etc and if everything is fine they will issue E106. I thought the E106 was a form to fill in and return to them? Is it in fact like the old E111 that you just carried with you?

Anyway, the lady I spoke to then explained that I could continue to pay full NI as normal, and my family and I will be entitled to access the Spanish state health system. I didn't ask how long it would last, but I'll post on here when I get all the details.


Regular Poster
Regular Poster
Re: Health Care

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:30 pm

On the UK contributions we had paid - moved over here when I was 42 and hubby 54 both having worked full time from 18 - our E106 was valid for 18 months. You are sent a form from Newcastle that has to be taken to your nearest area Social Security Office. You then get cover on Spanish NHS for duration of form validity. You are allocated a GP who may or may not speak any English. Even though I worked here when we first moved over paying Spanish contributions and therefore getting cover for hubby and I on local NHS, we still decided to get private insurance as it is nice to be able to have an English speaking Doctor; no matter how good your Spanish is it is always easuer to describe symptoms etc in your own language and be sure that you are correctly understanding advice given.


Bed and Breakfast in the Axarquia -


Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Page 5 of 5
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Expat Health Insurance Partners

Cigna Global

Cigna has worked in international health insurance for more than 30 years. Today, Cigna has over 71 million customer relationships around the world. Looking after them is an international workforce of 31,000 people, plus a network of over 1 million hospitals, physicians, clinics and health and wellness specialists worldwide, meaning you have easy access to treatment.

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy