JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Is Thailand Safe for Families with Young Children?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Is Thailand Safe for Families with Young Children?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:20 am

Hello.

My husband has a chance to work in Thailand, and the kids and I are welcome to move as well. We would jump at the chance, but have 1 rather large reservation...

We've heard so many stories about the sex trade involving young children, and quite honestly, that is the only thing that worries us about moving with our children. They are 3 and 1.

Do you know of any families with young children living in Thailand? I can only presume that everything goes fairly well with them and their children, or they wouldn't stay.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thank you.
Heather

MrsMor

Re: Is Thailand Safe for Families with Young Children?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Hallo Heather,

Thailand is a perfectly normal, modern country, more developed even than some of the recent additions to the European Union. Whilst it is true that Thailand has a reputation for sex tourism, this is concentrated in a few select areas that many Western males have chosen to be their new home. Take the Reeperbahn in Hamburg in Europe as an example. You wouldn't want to settle with your kids there either.

Western families living normal lives in normal places will probably never be aware of the country's sex industry. This is not a place where babies are snatched from their prams to be sold on some market. Not even in Cambodia. Not even in Laos. It happens, very rarely, in Vietnam. And when it does, the press makes a big issue out of it. It could also happen in a slum in America.

It is such reporting that gives you cause for concern. Forget it. Worse happens in Rome - but it doesn't hit the news.

Jump at the chance. There is a lot here that we Westerners can learn about life to our advantage.

jason06

Re: Is Thailand Safe for Families with Young Children?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:45 pm

Thank you for your reply - I appreciate it!

MrsMor

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy