JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Australian Visa

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Australia.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Australian Visa

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:21 am

My son has let his australian visa lapse for 14 years. He is still only in his early 30's. Is it easier to get a visa from the UK or Australia. Do you have to start from scratch please? Anyone know? Thank you

Sian

Siani

Re: Australian Visa

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:25 am

Hi Siani,

First of all going to need some details on it.

Where is your son now?
What type of Visa did he enter Australia on?
What type of Visa is he currently on?
By lapse, do you mean his Visa expired 14 years ago and he is still there?

Need some more details and should be able to answer it for you.

Micheál

moc2006
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:32 am

Thank you for your reply. My son is living in the UK at this time. He entered Australia on a permanant employment visa which expired 14 years ago. At the moment he has no valid visa for Australia. He has not been back there since.
Thank you

Sian

Siani

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:59 am

Ok,

Was it just permanent employment, or was it Permanent Residence? How long was he in Australia for?

See Permanent Residence is for life, but the Visa is for 5 years, after the 5 years you either have to apply for Citizenship (can get citizenship after 2 years), or apply for a Resident Return Visa.

I entered Australia with my family in 1996 on a Permanent Visa, I then left in 2000 – I was still a PR but the Visa had expired, I then wanted to move back to my family in 2003, all I had to do was apply for a Resident Return Visa, got it in 20 mins. Then when I got back, made sure I applied for Citizenship.

Now there is a criteria for it.

If he still has the old Passport with the Visa, ask him to look at the Visa Number and Visa type.

Does he have any interests left in Australia, such as Bank accounts, property anything like that?

See normaly if you have been on a permanent visa and it’s expired you can just apply for the Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155). BUT you must meet ONE of the following requirenments.

*You must have spent two (2) of the last five (5) years in Australia as a permanent resident.

OR

*You can provide evidence of substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia,
and - if you have been absent for more than five (5) years, you are able to provide evidence of compelling reasons for your absence.

OR

*You are the immediate family member of a Resident Return Visa holder.

That’s all I can think off if he had a Permanent Visa, try find out the Visa Class (should have the number on it). If it was Permanent Residents one, they if he meets any of the above criteria he can just apply for a Resident Return (takes about 20 min).

If not, then sadly he might have to apply from scratch. But before losing all hope, try the Immigration Website, www.immi.gov.au you can email them and ask if there is anything he can do if he doesn’t meet the above criteria.

If he does get it and gets back in, get him to apply for Citizenship as soon as he can (about 2 years after living there) that way he will always be able to enter and leave on his Aussie Passport and will always have it, no matter how long he stays out.

Hope that helps,

Wish him good luck.

Micheál

moc2006
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:10 am

Micheál Thank so much for the help and advise. I beleive it was an employment visa but will check up on it when I speak to him. We all went there and returned to the Uk as we had familt problems here. My husband and I are too old at 58 and 60 to return. We are hoping my son still can as he he only 34 and was educated partly there. Will check up with all the requirements you have suggested. Many thanks again

Sian

Siani

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi moc2006 what a very good explanation on the visa topic there will be a few people interested in what you had to say 10/10 go to the top of the class

plumbook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy