JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

newly arrived

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

newly arrived

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:09 am

Hello,

I just arrived in BKK working for a non-profit for a minimum of one year.
I'm looking for two things:
1) part-time work with kids - either teaching or volunteering in an orphanage
2) meeting young expats.

I'll be here for the year and i've found it really hard to find young expats who are also committed for a longer period of time to live in BKK. Any advice on both working with kids and how to meet people is greatly welcome!

Thanks

Morgan

mostrecker

Re: newly arrived

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:58 am

Hi Morgan:

Where in Bangkok are you staying and where do you like to go out?

I ask because if you are in the suburbs it can be difficult to meet up with young 'expats', but if you live nearer the CBD, then it can be easier.

Although I would no longer consider myself 'young', if you let me know what you are looking for I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Also, there is an orpahnage for handicapped children close to Bangkok International Airport that is usually looking for someone to help give their children 'English' classes. Most of the kids are wheelchair-bound and I know would enjoy the company. If you are interested, this is [part of] what I wrote about them earlier this year:

the Foundation For The Welfare Of The Crippled [Children], under the Royal Patronage of H.R.H. The Princess Mother.

For those of you not aware of this particular foundation, it is located on Tiwanon Road opposite Wat Cholpratan (between Chaeng Watthana Road and Rattanathibet Road). The Foundation was established in 1954, coming under Royal Patronage in 1955. Since opening its doors, the Foundation has provided care and assistance to thousands of children. Currently there are 260+ children in the care of the Foundation.

The Foundation attempts to make the lives of the children easier by providing them with physical treatment, an education, welfare and occupational training – with an overall objective that the children try and learn to depend on themselves as much is humanly possibly. The Foundation’s center is a modern complex with swimming pool, computer rooms, dormitories and even private rooms (for those older students). Activities even include going on camp and horseback riding. All-in-all, the place is superb, and I have only immense admiration for those who run it.

Anyhow, welcome to Thailand and enjoy your stay.

SM Wink

Sumitr_Man

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:14 am

Hi Mostrecker

How about you try this new group called "The European Young Professionals Group". It is a newly formed. Aim is to brng together Thai an dEuropean young professionals for business networking and social events. Membership are currently free. Social events welcome all young professionals of all nationalities. Contact Nick Jonsson at Spark communications: nick @ spark.co.th

May be this will ease your tension in Thailand. Take care

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:56 pm

still newly arrived? i arrived about the same time but am also keen to meet new young expats.

do let me know if you like sports (e.g. tennis, squash) or would just like to meet up for drinks...

i;ve been relocating every 2-3 years so i realize it can be difficult

MikeT

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 pm

i am new here. want to fdind a job too

kaikai

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:28 pm

Kaikai - what kind of work?

dantilley

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy