JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving to Cairo

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Egypt.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 

Re: Moving to Cairo

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm

You crack me up! I will def keep my eyes peeled for a bright pink Tank - or perhaps a nice shade of pastel pink would suit a blonde better? LOL!

I do tend to reserve my walks for Fridays, crossing the roads is easier, and a lot less people about - well out of Summer anyway, but as I said before, haven't been out for a couple of weeks... Getting low on provisions, so a trip to Carrefour is imminent, oh be still my beating heart!!

Have long admitted to anyone that'll listen that I KNOW I have a nice warm place reserved down below.... At least I'll know more people there! You ARE wicked, it's nice to know it's not just me!! BTW, you on facebook? Pm me if so and send me your link, I set up a (very small) group of like minds, albeit all in Alex, but it helps to share - and your insights are fab!

One more funny tale before I go... Toddler just beginning to talk, during the summer last year, limited vocab. Anything partially obscured from his view was 'iding' - can't say H yet.. so we are on the balcony, looking at the hustle and bustle of the Corniche, & Little one says 'Idin', Idin' I looked around, sometimes there are frogmen in the harbour... No. I looked and looked, almost gave up and all the time he's 'Idin' Idin!' Eventually I saw her, crossing the road in front of us, covered in black from head to foot, only eyes showing.... He still says it every so often and it cracks me up inside every time! I'll save you a warm spot next to mine.....

SCT107
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:15 am

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I didn’t check the feedback on this thread for a while and when I did, I discovered all this Razz . Once again thanks for your thoughts. It prepares me and my wife a little better. I knew it was bad but I suppose it will not really hit us until we get to Cairo. We are currently working in Amman Jordan and my contract finishes soon. The driving here is a lot calmer here then what it seems like in Cairo though but similar rules apply I think Smile
However it did lead to another curiosity; what is the situation regarding the driver licence? I only have a UK driving licence and have been driving in Jordan for almost 2 years now without problems, although I have been told that it is illegal to drive on a UK licence.
If I get a Jordanian licence, can I transfer that in Egypt or can I just transfer my UK licences or will I have to sit a test? Anyone know?

Many thanks Laughing

BTW: SCT107 no need to apologise, it has been interesting reading all the feedback. Very Happy

wasapnin
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:26 am

there is no such thing as a test here - at least not what you would be used to.
You go in the office, they take your name, fill out paperwork (which they cannot probably even read), look at your passport - bring a copy of it, 2 pics, and a copy of your UK license.
They may test you...may not. The test is..they take you outside, have you start up the car, go forward a bit, and drive backwards a bit...and thats it.
a joke...really...ain't kiddin ya. A couple of meters.

or, you can do what a lot of people here do...use your UK license, if stopped by a cop (a rarity) - and I have heard that the police here cannot read for the most part. Just start blabbing in English..and they let ya go.

jeanbean
Forum Leader - Egypt
Forum Leader - Egypt

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:40 am

You’re kidding me???? It sounds like a joke.
So how does insurance work? And when someone has an accident? Do they not require a valid licence when you have a licence or when you buy insurance for your car?
My biggest worry is getting stopped by the Police and not having the correct documents or when involved in an accident and not having the correct paperwork. I have heard about Egyptian Police and how they can be very rough. Not sure how true that is though.

www.wasapnin.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/wasapninworld

wasapnin
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:22 pm

am dead serious.
and egyptian police can be and probably are tough with egyptians, but you are a foreigner, and they don't wanna scare us and our foreign monies away, so they are wayyyy more lenient with us, than they would be with their own. I got stopped by the police once - in a routine, check all the cars, kind of a stop, and all I did was start blabbing english at them, and they just looked at me dumbfounded, and waved me on with a swish of their hand, and a big ole...MADAME !...lol
and I don't have any insurance on the car, and don't know of anyone that DOES carry insurance...lol
If you should get into an accident - don't expect that any egyptian would have any insurance either....its just not a common thing here. Basically, you pay for damage yourself, and he pays for his damages on his car.
The banks here that are giving out loans for new car purchases do insist on insurance, but that is just a protection for them - to cover the cost of the loan in case the car is damaged - not to help you out in fixing the vehicle...lol
But yes, there is insurance, but have no idea where to get it, or how to get it, etc.

jeanbean
Forum Leader - Egypt
Forum Leader - Egypt

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:04 pm

yes I echo the insurance thing, funny, i was only talking about it to hubby yesterday - no-one has insurance, it costs something like 3000LE a year - that's a lot for a local, and many of the vehicles won't be worth that! I

t's a Malesh culture, they bump into you, cut you up, malesh malesh. Fortunately, bumps, scratches and accidents happen so often, and parts etc are so expensive to buy from the foreign manfacturer, there are literally hundreds of car mechanics. and if you have dollars etc, costs very little in - shall we say - real money.

We've just changed our merc Engine for a newer morepowerful one.. new AC, new shocks, new carbs, filters all fitted and it's well under 5000LE - about $1000 give or take - can you imagine getting all that done in UK/US? it'd cost in £/$ what it costs in LE.

Jean's right about the licence, I know a girl (with a UK licence) here in Alex that got her egyptian licence, and all they asked her to do was turn on the engine, and drive forward, then reverse back again. She passed - first time!! LOL!!

Wishing you happy landings in Cairo and hoping you and your family every happiness!

SCT107
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:54 pm

LOL ,
bad girls
I think 1st crew will have a second thought about coming to Egypt
Funny :)))

out of my mind ... back in 5 minutes

usama111
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 3 of 5
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy