JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Offer feedback please...

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 

Offer feedback please...

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Just received the following offer, and I know these sorts of questions have been re-visited over and over, but as it's such a big decision to move your family half-way around the world, I'd like some feedback please...

1. Base salary -- 30,000 AED monthly + performance-based commission structure
2. Education -- 45,000 AED per child p.a. (I have two children, both under 10 years old)
3. Vehicle and insurance allowance approx 2,500 AED monthly
4. Full family medical benefits
5. Can chose location, either Abu Dhabi or Dubai
6. Family travel allowance once p.a.
7. Relocation coverage

I'll have to pay housing myself. I'm considering countering with shaving some off the education to bump up base salary, in order to have a bit more comfort with housing costs.

Thoughts? Any feedback will be appreciated.

regoks
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Offer feedback please...

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi Regoks,

I have received a similar offer, other than I receive no education allowance for my kids. As my kids aren't school age yet I'm not too concerned.

The only concerns I have is that, until the residency visa is approved (and the Company might not sponsor this until the end of the 3 month probation period), I won't be able to rent accomodation or buy a car. This means that I'll have to find hotel accomodation and rent a car, which is probably going to be more expensive.

I've looked at villas in Dubai and it seems that 150,000 AED is probably a bit light on what I can expect to pay. It seem that 200,000 might be more appropriate, but villas at 150,000 can be available if you're lucky (if you don't mind living in Mirdif under the flight path). Just remember that you will have to pay the agent and DEWA (municipality tax) 5% of the annual rent each.

Out of interest, may I ask what it is you do?

Regards,

Grant

granthewitt

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm a Project Manager, PMI certified -- not construction industry... primarily business development/ technology sectors.

I was also thinking about the housing, but noticed that there are housing loan options from the local banks that cater to expat housing needs. Do you have any insight as to what to look for or steer away from there?

Isn't it the case that the 5% tax/ commission is added on the utility bill (DEWA)?

Thanks!

regoks
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:12 pm

I don't know much about housing loans as yet.

I understood that the 5% DEWA charge was payable as a deposit for connection.

I'm a Quantity Surveyor in the Consruction Industry myself. Do you know when you might be going out to Dubai?

granthewitt

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:19 pm

5% is added on to your elect bill divided over the 12 months etc. If you have a choice for housing I would pick Dubai as there is definately more there and its cheaper than Abu Dhabi. If you were to come to AD then you would need at least around 200k for an apartment and 250k for a villa but that will be pushing it. Schools are more of an issue as you would have more choice in Dubai rather than AD especially for british curriculum, in AD there are 1 new british primary school and 1 established british school that caters for 3-18 and another british curr school opening in sept upto year9 in the first instance (but there are waiting lists for all of them). You must do research on this as its very difficult, if you log onto expatwomanabudhabi.com or abudhabiwoman.com you will see loads of threads regarding these issues and they will help you more.

busybee2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:42 am

I'm not sure of the exact timetable, but I expect to fly fly out for mine and my wife's research in the next two weeks. From what I can tell visa's and permits can take as little as two weeks or as long as three months.

regoks
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:23 pm

granthewitt, if you're a QS in construction with no housing allowance, I'd suggest you seriously reconsider the offer and try to get more (though you didn't state your salary you said its similar to regoks). The housing will kill you!

Ryan81
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Page 1 of 3
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy