JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Anne & her doggie

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Egypt.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Anne & her doggie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:44 pm

was wondering how your little doggie made the trip?
any probs?
and how does he feel about Egypt? lol

jeanbean
Forum Leader - Egypt
Forum Leader - Egypt

Re: Anne & her doggie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi Jean Bean!!!!
I am so sorry I haven't been on the forum due to forgetting laptop here in Cairo. I was in Marina about 9 days I think for construction that is going on there. Otto (the doggie) was just fine...frolicking in the garden...and having a great time. Lots of green and flowers and birds and frogs to occupy him...however, in the heat he can only handle it a couple of hours then nap a couple and so on. The plane trip was excellent, the dog sat in front of my bulkhead seat. I had some trouble with the transport Canada guys out of Montreal Airport where they only allow two pieces of carry on, and counted my doggie as a third, after officials argued back and forth they allowed it, (purse, laptop and dog) much to my disgust after it was deemed they didn't know the rules themselves and held me up an hour. It was a wonderful aiport rep for Air Canada that handled it wonderfully...after many supervisors later....and my hunger pangs ticking me off moreso. The doggie was fine we made a pit stop in the handicap washroom to run around and peepee...and eat..alone there before boarding airplane as we had 6 hour train from Toronto just prior. On the train he went cargo in the noisy car...and was probably just terrified. Otherwise, he slept and was quiet the whole time (12 hours) to Cairo. I was relieved. On arrival, no one questioned me on the dogs injections or anything. I couldn't believe it! Now, all the preparation, and they let me just march right in the country. Maybe my husband made this happen with his connections, but I have not idea why no one checked....
Since then, I have browsed careffour and found some treats and food. Also metro....and there is a moderate amount available. A little limited on the toy side of things, but I got him a tennis ball and he is happy, with his little baby (stuffed toy) and that...and lots of bones. The pad training is on and off...since I have let him wander in the garden in Marina freely. So, here in Cairo again, it is a hit and a miss.
I hope to meet up with you shortly...I am back to Marina on Thursday I think, and I am awaiting news of my childrens flight to come here.....but after that, would love to meet up!!!!!
Thanks for asking about us...
Anne
Very Happy

anne1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 pm

well, glad to see that you and Otto (cute name) have made it thru just fine.
was wondering what in the world happened to ya. Thought maybe ya got swallowed up in a sand dune or sumthin.
Cool bout the "breezing in thru Cairo airport" - ya know, if ya weren't prepared to extensively, then you would have run into all kinds of crap. Maybe you breezed thru, cuz of attitude?
like...you just KNEW you were legit, and were just waiting for a hassle, so ya got none. maybe.

and construction?....oh what fun !

jeanbean
Forum Leader - Egypt
Forum Leader - Egypt

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:16 pm

- anne1

Hi Jean Bean!!!!
I am so sorry I haven't been on the forum due to forgetting laptop here in Cairo. I was in Marina about 9 days I think for construction that is going on there. Otto (the doggie) was just fine...frolicking in the garden...and having a great time. Lots of green and flowers and birds and frogs to occupy him...however, in the heat he can only handle it a couple of hours then nap a couple and so on. The plane trip was excellent, the dog sat in front of my bulkhead seat. I had some trouble with the transport Canada guys out of Montreal Airport where they only allow two pieces of carry on, and counted my doggie as a third, after officials argued back and forth they allowed it, (purse, laptop and dog) much to my disgust after it was deemed they didn't know the rules themselves and held me up an hour. It was a wonderful aiport rep for Air Canada that handled it wonderfully...after many supervisors later....and my hunger pangs ticking me off moreso. The doggie was fine we made a pit stop in the handicap washroom to run around and peepee...and eat..alone there before boarding airplane as we had 6 hour train from Toronto just prior. On the train he went cargo in the noisy car...and was probably just terrified. Otherwise, he slept and was quiet the whole time (12 hours) to Cairo. I was relieved. On arrival, no one questioned me on the dogs injections or anything. I couldn't believe it! Now, all the preparation, and they let me just march right in the country. Maybe my husband made this happen with his connections, but I have not idea why no one checked....
Since then, I have browsed careffour and found some treats and food. Also metro....and there is a moderate amount available. A little limited on the toy side of things, but I got him a tennis ball and he is happy, with his little baby (stuffed toy) and that...and lots of bones. The pad training is on and off...since I have let him wander in the garden in Marina freely. So, here in Cairo again, it is a hit and a miss.
I hope to meet up with you shortly...I am back to Marina on Thursday I think, and I am awaiting news of my childrens flight to come here.....but after that, would love to meet up!!!!!
Thanks for asking about us...
Anne
Very Happy

Anne how did you get your doggie from the plane cargo hold into Cairo? Did they bring your dog to you on the plane or what?

I'm so jealous of you guys who don't come via London with your animals - its such a bloody rigmarole from there - and you can't collect them off the plane you have to go via the cargo place and waiting hours and paying a fortune.

parachutingblackbelts2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Oh I am sorry for your experience. I actually had the dog on board the whole time infront of my seat...and he went where I went, NO CARGO at all for him. His crate sat infront of my seat the whole time...like a bag...as he is the size of a large cat. Luckily....no problems and no one touched the doggie except me of course. Nor did they even investigate him. By the way, had the lucky chance to spend day with Jean Bean....wondeful time yesterday together and thanks Jean!!

anne1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm

thanks Anne....we had a blast with you guys.
nice hubby...nice friends, and didn't realize that you had such a talent !!

jeanbean
Forum Leader - Egypt
Forum Leader - Egypt

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:27 pm

- anne1

Oh I am sorry for your experience. I actually had the dog on board the whole time infront of my seat...and he went where I went, NO CARGO at all for him. His crate sat infront of my seat the whole time...like a bag...as he is the size of a large cat. Luckily....no problems and no one touched the doggie except me of course. Nor did they even investigate him. By the way, had the lucky chance to spend day with Jean Bean....wondeful time yesterday together and thanks Jean!!

What airline was that with Anne?

Can't do it with British Airways, and you can only do it on EgyptAir if you can 'flat pack' your cat into a bag that exactly fits round them and animal + bag weighs less than 5kg! (one of my monsters is 5.2kg without bag and the other is 4.2kg without bag)

parachutingblackbelts2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy