JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Thailand

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Thailand

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm

I am new to this site,so hopefully someone can assist. I am looking at retiring in Thailand next year,possibly Jomtien area.
Is the amount req u must have coming into thai bank on a reg basis 65,000 bht per mth,or is it possible to avoid this and maintain a bank balance of more than 80,000 bht? to show to immigration.to retain retirement visa.
Do i need to obtain a o visa first then a retirement visa?
Then visit Immigration every 3 months to complete paperwork?
Is it still necessary to leave Thailand once a year for a short trip to a neighbouring country? Hopefully this is not required as in the past.

Would appreciate assistance
Many thanks.

maccastime

Re: Thailand

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm

- maccastime

I am looking at retiring in Thailand next year ... Is the amount req u must have coming into thai bank on a reg basis 65,000 bht per mth,or is it possible to avoid this and maintain a bank balance of more than 80,000 bht? to show to immigration.to retain retirement visa.

Mac -

Yes.
If you show the bank deposit of 800,000 THB, you only need to show that one time per year -- it is not a minimum balance which you must keep at all times.

However, the new rule here is that 800K must be in a Thai bank for at least three months prior to your retirement extension application.
The other nine months of the year, you can go ahead and spend the money.

- maccastime

Do i need to obtain a o visa first then a retirement visa?
Then visit Immigration every 3 months to complete paperwork?

Get the"O" visa first, from a Thai consulate, before you arrive here.
Easiest to use an "Honorary Thai Consul", rather than the Embassy Consular Office.
"O" good for 90 days.
During that 90 days, apply for retirement extension here.

That retirement extension is good for one year.

During the year, must notify the immigration department of your address every 90 days.
No cost for that -- just fill in a simple, address form.
You can send that in by mail, if you prefer.
Do that every 90 days.

After one year -- from your original arrival date in Thailand -- go back for another extension.
Do that every year.

- maccastime

Is it still necessary to leave Thailand once a year for a short trip to a neighbouring country? Hopefully this is not required as in the past.

I don't know about the past, but it is not necessary now to leave Thailand if you have an "O" visa with a retirement extension.
Some expats here never leave.

Now a recommendation: Get a visa lawyer to handle this for you.
At least for the first application.
You don't understand the language, and you don't know the procedures.
A visa lawyer here will know everything.
Their fee is in the range of $100-400.
Pay it and let them do all the work; it will make things so much easier for you.

To find a reputable visa lawyer, look at expats' club web sites for Pattaya-Jomtien, since that is your intended destination.

I hope this is helpful to you.

-- Peter

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy