JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Hello from a newbie who........

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Canada.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

Re: Hello from a newbie who........

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks Adele and Beci,

As mentioned before it will be a long process and of course there is the question where to live?? In a country so large and beautiful where do you go?? Like most people with a young family somewhere not too cold in the winter and not too hot in the summer, but it would be nice to have some proper seasons for a change!!!

I have read the article that was linked from the daily mail about the minister from Alberta trying to attract brit workers, and also the article from the journalist who says that Canada is not all it is cracked up to be!! It is articles like these why I joined this board to talk to people who have "been there done that", so far all the comments and suggestions have been excellent and I thank you for them.

Has anyone used the visa immigration websites that let you go online and fill out a quick form to see if you are eligible to emigrate? I went on one just to see what criteria was required, has anyone any experiences of these sites, good or bad??

Thanks

Andy

andychg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi Andy
My advice ref immigration websites is steer clear. unless they are run by a professional immigration lawyer - not immigration consultants who may or may not have acess to a lawyer skilled and experienced in immigration matters but who will lwant you to part with a lot of money for their services. But, the tools these sites have are a good starting pont to see if you qualify or not. I used one and found that neither my wife nor I qualified as a skilled worker in anything ( despite her being a bank manager and me having my own business for 18 years) our next step was to find a good immigration lawyer to help us which we found through using this forum. We ended up going the busines visa route. If you want our lawyers name please pm me. hope this helps

steve

Stesol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Thanks Steve,

As I said earlier we are very early on in the process but I will get it off you a bit closer to the time, thanks.

I see from your blog that you are almost there and that it has been a couple of years in the making!!! If you dont mind me asking what kind of business do you run??? I used to run a hard landscaping and fencing business but had to pack it in because our "beautiful" summers were killing me!!!

Thanks again

Andy

andychg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 am

No Worries Andy, happy to help whenever you are ready .

Its helpful to find out where you stand and which direction you need to take as soon as possible so you can weigh up your options. Its difficult to change tack once you are into the immigration process.

I am in the recruitment business. I applied for my PR visa on Sept 1 2006 and got it last week. Smile

Stesol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:13 am

Hi Andy - We just received our PR Visa also and did'nt use any immigration lawyer or consultant. It is pretty straight forward to do it yourself so I would save your pennies for more important things!

Our neighbours, who are emigrating to OZ, used one and they were fleeced of £2,000 and because of a huge mix up they are having to start again from scratch,have lost their money with nothing to show.

I am sure there are legit immigration consultants/lawyers but it is so easy to do (if you have the time/patience and common sense).

Good luck

Nicky

nash
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Andy:

I just noticed that you have experience in landscaping supervision and management.

Guess how many jobs are being advertised in the Toronto news papers today for that type of managerial position ? Six.

Unlike the UK, we get long hot summers, and the landscaping business here is very big, in both summer and in the winter, with snow removal and ice control on private properties. Most large company buildings here have extensive gardens and lawns, and some have fountains, and large ornamental designs. Even some factories have large grounds and acres of grass, and trees on them. Then there is the huge private home owner market, and apartment and condo buildings, too.

You could also look at the city parks and recreation departments, who employ hundreds of people to maintain and improve the city properties. Every town and city has a need for experienced landscape and tree workers, and managers to supervise them.

Here is a link to the city of Toronto's employment website, take a look in general at the job postings, to get a feel for the way they are worded.

www.toronto.ca/employment/

Cheers Jim B.

buntingj
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 pm

Thank you yet again Jim,

To be honest I didn't even think about the landscaping side of it, I was also one of the few approved timber tech deck installers, it is a composite material rather than timber, but we wouldn't be looking to come over for about 4 years so by then I would have been out of it for too long!!!

I was thinking about re-training or getting a business degree, I think I will scour the web and find out what trades are in demand in Canada and contemplate re-training, my only worry is that what is in demand now may not be in demand in 4 years time. Something else to think about!!

Thanks

Andy

andychg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 2 of 3
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy