JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

dementia care chiang mai?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

dementia care chiang mai?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:10 am

Hello

Am making enquiries on behalf of my mother- My sister would like her to go to the above mentioned care home/village in Thailand. As a non ex pat I am concerned and have no experience of Thailand.

She currently resides with my sister in Brunei - I visit regularly. I have concerns re medical treatment available and travelling to Chiang Mai.

I appreciate the culture of SE asia is much more appreciating and understanding of aging people than the west.

Any info and views very appreciated on not just the two topics of medical and travel but anything you think would be important in this situation.

Thanks
Louise

LouiseW1972

Re: dementia care chiang mai?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Louise -

What "above mentioned care home"?
Do you have name and location?

Medical treatment in Chiangmai is superb.
Many advanced hospitals and clinics here, with English translators on staff.
Many doctors trained in the West.

I happen to live near the "Chiangmai Neurological Hospital".
I don't know anything about it, except to say it is a very large building, so there is certainly some emphasis on that specialty here.
Perhaps this Wikipedia list of hospitals in Thailand will give you a starting point for more information:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Chiang_Mai

As for travel, Chiangmai has a fine airport.
Many daily flights here from Bangkok, plus a regular, direct flight from Singapore.

If your mother needs special care on the flight, I suggest Thai Airlines business class between here and Bangkok.
The service during the flight is fine, but if the dementia is well along, the language problem could be a problem.
Thais think they can speak English, but it is often very difficult to understand.

I am retired, middle 60's.
One of the reasons I selected Thailand is because of excellent medical care here, along with the kindness and respect shown to older people.
With four years in the country so far, from that perspective, Thailand is an excellent choice.

I hope this is helpful to you.

-- Peter

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: dementia care chiang mai?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:34 pm

Please consider McKean in Chiang mai

NatashNico

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy