JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Legally disposing of a UK car

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Greece or the Greek Islands.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Legally disposing of a UK car

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:33 am

I’m looking at organising a road trip with a few friends, driving through Europe into Turkey and on to Istanbul in cheap cars. We would then like to donate them to charity or scrap them and fly home.

Sadly this doesn’t look like being possible in Turkey so now looking at driving into Greece to dispose of the cars.

I’ve heard cars are expensive in Greece so would they be of value to a charity at all (would they be able to register RHD cars?)

Alternatively does anyone have any experience of scrapping a UK car in Greece? Is it easy to do, and will they give as something official to show the DVLA back in the UK?

Many thanks.

RoadTripper

Re: Legally disposing of a UK car

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi there,

I do not believe it would be viable for even a charity to register a UK car in Greece, just too many legal issues and ownership criteria would not be met for free import. I would suggest you scrap it if its a low value car.....there are plenty of places that will take it off you. Alternatively what about offering to any returning ex-pat ?

I do not think you require proof of scrapping in the UK, just fill in the DVLA form and post it back..

TheGrocer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 am

Hi there is a scrap yard in Drama not far from the Turkish border that takes all the right hand drive car. I know a Greek who may drive up to the border to pick it up from you and he turns it in after taking what he needs off it. What month are you planning on doing this?
Thanks
Jeff

thasolutions

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:23 am

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks, that's great.
Do you know how I can find out any more about the scrap yard in Darma?

That's sounds like an option but if someone wants to take them off us nearer the border so much the better (would ideally fly home from Alexandroupolis)

Trip will be in August but I'm hoping to rope a few friends in too so may be a few cars so might not work with your man at the border???

Cheers.

RoadTripper

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Is anyone aware of a Scrap yard near Athens that would take a right-hand drive car?
Thanks

OT80

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

- thasolutions

Hi there is a scrap yard in Drama not far from the Turkish border that takes all the right hand drive car. I know a Greek who may drive up to the border to pick it up from you and he turns it in after taking what he needs off it. What month are you planning on doing this?
Thanks
Jeff

Can you give me directions to this scrap yard in Drama please from the Turkish border or else arrange for someone to meet me there to take the car to the scrap yard - thanks - somewhat urgent as I have to have my Uk registered RHD car out of Turkey and off my passport by 16 May. Thanks again.

robydani

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy