JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Where to start?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Costa Rica.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Where to start?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:19 pm

Sorry if this gets asked all the time, I tried to search back, but didn't really find what I am looking for.

In May I plan to move to central america (not necessarily costa rica, but possibly) and I was wondering if there is a recommended book or something about making the move that I can read.

I know there is lots of information here and some other places too, but I am having troble finding answers to my millions of questions. I have tons of questions and not much time to plan, so i need a book or something that I can read before I start asking useful questions.

Thanks for your help!

NaniSpinaka

Re: Where to start?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:18 pm

The Lonely Planet books get lots of mention (http://www.lonelyplanet.com), but I've never read one.

thinkingman

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:50 am

he Lonely Planet books are good for tourism, not so much for relocation.

Here is a page with good recommendations.
www.godutchrealty.com/...ooks.shtml

Scroll down to the section "Books about Living and Retirement in Costa Rica"

The books by John Howells and Christopher Howard may have books on other countries by the same author or publisher. All Central American countries have much in common, but they have important differences too. So eventually you will want a book specific to the country you are going too.

Russ Martin
Proprietor www.wheelscr.com
Helping expats buy a vehicle since 2006 * Used or New *
All types, we take you through the process from start to finish, quickly and painlessly.

AE_Russ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:36 am

thanks! i have plenty of guidebooks for tourism, so thanks for the recommendation for relocation!

NaniSpinaka

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 am

i'm reading one now called 'Moving to Costa Rica' by Erin Van Rheenan which has practical info from the POV of someone who moved there. it's much more informative than the guidebooks listing every major restaurant in a town.

puthupa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:48 pm

You will also find a lot of information on amcostarica.com and in the ticotimes newspaper.
If you have any questions I´ll gladly answer them, you can also check out http://attorneykearney.com

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson
Attorney at Law/Real Estate Broker
KEARNEY LAWSON & Assoc.
www.attorneykearney.com
attorneykearney @ yahoo.com
Ph:(506)8841-0007 Ph/Fax:(506)2232-1014

AttorneyKearney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy