JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

need advice on move from usa

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next 

Re: need advice on move from usa

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Frank, Jami ,and Jonathan,
Yes we have met, and had a very nice dinner with Jami and Frankie. In the flesh they are very friendly and we get along very very well, like we know each other for a long time. We had a nice long caht with my wife not speaking a word of English but seemed to understand most of what was said. My son get along well with Frank. We brought Jami a pair of woven baskets in purple, her favorite colour. She loves them. Perhaps she will upload they photos on the other site.
I am in the middle of changing job. Just started the new job yesterday. So I am very busy and not able to be their guide. And by end of next week I'll be flying off to Hochiminh, Vietnam to work there.
They have now got their mobile phone set up and we'll be able to talk even when they are in Phuket. But that will be for only a few day before I go to VN.

Will lgo in again later.
Tavit

AffinityOne
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Happy to hear that you guys met up, had a nice dinner & got on well.

Congratulations on the new job Tavit, but its a little sad you aren't going to be around in Bangkok for Jami to call if she has a problem, or for you & I to meet up for a beer, but I'm sure you will still be able to communicate with Jami by email.

Lancashirelad
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:10 am

Hi Jami

glad you both made it to your final destination & that so far you love it.
I haven't visited Phuket, heard its very commercialized for the tourist & priced accordingly.
The place you're staying loks lovely.
You'll soon get used to them driving on the left as do so very many countries inc. Australia, UK, Thailand, India, Jamaica & lots more.
If you scroll down a bit in this link you can see a clear map, also maybe some helpful explanations.

Driving on the left

The small hairy fruit you posted is called Rambutan & its lovely. Just google it if you want to know more.
Talking of Thai fruits, you'd probably be well advised not to take Durian into the house. It stinks.

Lancashirelad
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 am

sa wat dee ka, to all! Jon, I got your message on Shutterfly, and thought you posted it here! I, too, am having problem's with that site! it won't up-load all my picture's and it takes forever to load a 2 second video! Maybe I should think about changing to a different site! I'm thinking about it, but amm not sure, as the other site I have in mind, doesn't allow you to post as many picture's as shutterfly! At least i'm able to get my story told , and give picture's!Being here in Kamala is beautiful!!!! I can't put it into words! The mountains stand very high, and 10 minute;s away ia a beautiful cove of a beach! The wave's aren't so bad in the cove, but on the Adaman Sea side they are strong! They have the red flag's out warning people to be aware of the undertow! This is the rainy season, as it's been very rainy everyday! No problem, though, it keeps the air cooler!
We haven't driven anywhere yet, we have a truck, and scooter at our disposal, but the driving here make's us both nervous! My husband has been walking into town, which is probably a 15 minute walk, not to bad, and come's back with very yummy food from the road side vendors! Great fried chicken, duck, squid, crab, mushrooms, and sticky rice! And different fruits, than what we're use to eating, but all very yummy! And yes, the durian, it does stink, and we haven't the need to taste it yet! Our friend here, say's it's good, but the smell is enough to keep you away from it! Maybe down the road we'll try it, but not yet! Anyway, I'm going to jump back over to shutterfly, just checking in here to see what's going on! We are well over 7500 hit's on this site! Jon, you need to make arrangements to come here, and stay with us! By than we'll have our own place. We told Tavit, if we leave to go to another country, he and his family can come here for a vacation, and stay at our place for nothing, we have to pay the rent either way, and the same offer goes to you! Even if we're here, you can hang out at our place! We'd love to have you! maybe you, Tavit and us can all meet up, the computer make's it a small world, when actually it is so large! That would be nice!!!! See you on shutterfly!!! lah gorn for now, Jami

frankiebad
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Yes, another record broken over 8,000 views.
I think both Frankie and Jami are loving it all in Phuket and now stating on the home hunting.

Very nice to be offerred to stay at their place when we pass over their way.
I'll go over to the shutterfly site to check it out first
See ya la'er
Tavit

AffinityOne
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Yes, a very kind offer to me also, thank you Jami. I hope I can take you up on it one day.

I notice you never comment on the content of any of the various links I've provided. Do you get the chance to check them out?

Lancashirelad
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:38 am

sa wat dee ka, Jonathan, Yes I did get on the links, most I think, but I guess I'm so busy with all the changes going on that I sometimes for get to mention other things! My apologies!

This is some content from my e-mail to Tavit,

I'll do that, we have seen quite a few houses so far, lots here for rent, and the prices seem fair! There is a house down the road from where we're at now, it has everything we want, so I think it may be a possibility. I hope! Barry come's in today, and we will go tomorrow to look at a few houses, and the newspaper here as 20 different places in for us to look at! Yike's, lol, But I'm ready to get out of my suitcase and live like a normal person.

Wow, some job, your wife will miss you terribly! It's sad that you have to go so far and for so long to work. 6 months is a long time to wait for a visit home, and talk about living out of a suitcase! My heart goes out to you, but we can still stay in touch, Your wife will get lonely, your going away, your son is leaving, and your daughter is already away. What is your wife going to do? Her craft is awesome, so I guess she'll be able to have more time for the basket's and the market's. I love the one she did for me, and every time I look at the baskets, I think of her and how much time she put into making them. Tell her I said thank you again! I really do love them.
Ok, gotta go for now, and try and get more picture's up loaded to shutterfly. So much to look at here, and the question's I have are many. On the subject of plants, food's, customs of the different people, there is just so much I have to learn! It's amazing and interesting, and I can't wait for Barry to arrive, I can bombard him, as you have helped me get this far!! I need to post this on the expat site! I just thought about it. I have been there to visit the other day, Jon had sent a message to my face book and so I went to the site to see what more he may have wrote. At that time, we were near 8000 hit's on the site Smile Pretty neat!
OK, you take care, say sa wat dee ka to your wife from me! korp kun ka, Jami ( thank you ? ) with out looking in the book??

Anyway, as every one can see, a lot of change's going on, and a lot of learning to do. This place is so awesome, word's can't describe it. As for being touristy, and commercialized, it is a bit, but we're in Kamala Beach, I think we're south ?, of the big area where the tourist stay. This is more a small area, in the hills and lot's of windy roads! You can drive to the beach, which is 10 minute's away, due to the curve's and up's and down's of the roads. You can walk there in about 20 minute's. I have been looking at the plant life, the surrounding home's, and the people. I feel like I'm spying on the world, observing the different way's people do things. The home's here are so different, just in this area, there are many different styles, and I believe different religions, and different ethnic's of people. And this is just the area where we are staying! We have a 2 floor home here at barry's, and because I smoke, yeah, bad I know it, I go out on our bedroom balcony and smoke, and I feel like I'm being nosy, as people are going about their everyday business! They pray, make smoke pot's burn inncense big time, and all of this is not familiar to me, but I'm dying to know all there is to know about my world around me. There is nothing any one could have told me to prepare for this change of life. The best way to describe my feelings is that of a new born baby. I have to learn every thing all over again. Language, Foods, money, everything you can think of has changed for me. The money i have gotten use to, that was easy, the language is still a big barrier, a funny story here, My husband had made a call about a home we wated to look at, the man on the other end spoke English and Thai, so we put our driver on the phone to get directions to the home to look at it. When the 2 were done speaking, our driver informed us, after a few minute's of speaking Thai to the other man, that the other man couldn't speak Thai, and we had to wait for barry to come home. So we thought that was it, no, it wasn't, an hour or 2 later the phone ring's, Frankie answers it, and this man on the other end starts screaming at him, stating we had held him up, waiting on us to get to the house to look at it? Duh? and he was so mad he hung up on Frankie! We called him back to apologize, but he again hung up. Later on his wife called us and explained to us, they had waited for 2 hour's for us to come to them and the house, and they thought it was rude of us not to call and say we weren't coming. Our driver was the one who messed that up, right now we still don't know who or what he was talking about, if the folks on the other end couldn't speak Thai. He sure was going on before he told us the other man couldn't speak Thai. The man's wife said they gave our driver the direction's so .............communication is so important! I hope nothing like this happens again, but I'm sure it will! We are in a different country, with different everything LOL
I'm sure I'll have more to write on this subject as time goes on!

Ok, I guess I'll jump over to shutterfly now. I'm going to do a copy and paste, as it sure make's things easier on the finger's when typing all this!

see ya there! For those new and reading this it's badalaslifeinthailand....erfly.com/ loh gorn for now!

frankiebad
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 23 of 26
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy