JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

What embassies, consulates can and can’t do for expatriates

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Turkey.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

What embassies, consulates can and can’t do for expatriates

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 am

Useful info about why it's a good idea to register and what to do in an emergency.

Today's Zaman

Ikeepforgetting
Forum Leader - Turkey
Forum Leader - Turkey

Re: What embassies, consulates can and can’t do for expatriates

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Sadly, I think too many people expect too much from British Embassies. Generally, they expect the embassy to take up personal cases on their behalf. Cases surrounding the non-issue of Tapus and other fraud spring to mind.
The "Locate" programme is well worth joining despite many thinking that it's the big brother of the UK government wanting to keep an eye on them.
We registered in Qatar and it was a good job we did. When iraq invaded Kuwait we were immediately contacted and were kept up-to-date with what was happening. We were also issued gas masks and instructions within days.
The embassy have been very helpful in Turkey in arguing the cost of residence permits and on the issue of the 90 days in 180 tourist visas.
News is just breaking of the reduction in RP's for brits from the massive £370 per year to a $80 for the year. Cannot fault them on that one.

dweller

Re: What embassies, consulates can and can’t do for expatr

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Quite agree w/you Dweller.
Years ago I remember mentioning to the Brit Cons that in an emergency I wouldn't want to leave my TR other half behind and was informed that in dire circumstances they took non Brit spouses too! Smile Not sure if that still applies! Wink Hope it never comes to that!
It is well worth registering w/your nearest Consulate- wherever you are from and wherever you go. A lot can be done on-line nowadays too.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train. Oscar Wilde

Ikeepforgetting
Forum Leader - Turkey
Forum Leader - Turkey

Re: What embassies, consulates can and can’t do for expatriates

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Depends if you have a proper consul - we have an Honorary Consul (Turkish) whom I have heard described by many long-term expats here as "about as useful as a chocolate teapot" - turns up to all the parties and feel-good events but forget it if you have a problem - response "what do you expect me to do about it?" With over 5000 ex-pat Brits living here that is not good enough - almost same as no representation - how do we go about getting proper consular representation ie a Brit who undertands our culture and government/administration and our needs?

robydani

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy