JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

New Rentista law

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Costa Rica.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

New Rentista law

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 am

Hi,

I just read that the immigration laws are changing and that spouses & children will be required to be covered separately, resulting in at 4 person family requirement of $120k. Man - I thought $60k was going to be a stretch, but $120k is going to be impossible. I'm a bit unclear on how this works - why does one have to put money into a CD to produce the monthly requirement? Why is foreign income (ie salary) not acceptable? I would easily be able to make the requirement if it were based purely on salary and not an investment.

thank you.

puthupa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: New Rentista law

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:06 am

You can relax, the new immigration law went through the assembly and no changes were made to the requirements for rentista or pensionado.

At one point there was serious discussion about upping the income amounts, but that portion of the bill was removed.

The bill does contain provisions that could affect "perpetual tourists", they are aimed at stopping illegal immigration and the trafficking of humans. Costa Rica is a convenient way station for South Americans intending to immigrate illegally to the US, so there was pressure to stop them here before they get closer to there ultimate goal.

Russ Martin
Proprietor www.wheelscr.com
Helping expats buy a vehicle since 2006 * Used or New *
All types, we take you through the process from start to finish, quickly and painlessly.

AE_Russ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 am

ok - i think i'll chill and have a beer Wink i should stop worrying and get back to earning $ for a trip later this year. thanks for the reply.

puthupa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:28 am

You're starting to sound like a Tico already! (mañana is always soon enough)

Russ Martin
All types, we take you through the process from start to finish, quickly and painlessly.

AE_Russ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:15 am

ha! i know another way to residency would be a $50k investment in a business in a priority area, right? would buying a b&b count? here's the real question: would we have to run it as a b&b? what if it were the most poorly run b&b ever? in any case, not thinking of buying until we've rented & are comfortable, just coming up with ideas & options.

puthupa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:25 am

That might be a case where you jump out of the frying pan into the fire. I realize that the difference between $50,000 and $60,000 is $10,000. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but on the hand you have a lot more hoops to jump through trying to get:
- Approval from PROCOMER as a priority sector
- Approval from ICT for the B & B permits
- You would have to declare income and expenses for the B & B with Hacienda
- Permits from the local city for operation of a B & B.
etc.

It's much easier to deposit a bond, if you have the money. Or go for the work permit as an executive of the company you form. As long as you hire a few people it seems to me that that would be pretty straightforward.

Russ Martin

AE_Russ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:08 pm

yes, that is a helluva lot more involved, thanks for pointing all that out. forming a company would still require quite an investment, something that is not quite necessary when the work is new media design. going the rentista route seems like the best option.

puthupa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy