JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

MEO Cable TV Boxes

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Portugal.
Subforums: Property for Sale/Rent, 2nd Hand Items for Sale/Wanted

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

MEO Cable TV Boxes

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi All,

One for the techies....

I want to move my MEO Cable TV box upstairs but without running CAT5 cable everywhere.

I have a couple of Wireless Access point devices, a Vonets:-
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr...03_details

and a Sitecom:-
www.amazon.co.uk/Sitec...313&sr=1-1

both of which work happily providing an Ethernet point upstairs to which I can connect a computer.

However when used to provide an ethernet connection for the MEO box, they work for a minute or two, then drop-out leaving a frozen TV screen. Any ideas?

Regards

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------
The Air Of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.

MadHorseman
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Re: MEO Cable TV Boxes

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 pm

When mine was being installed, the tech guys told me the box could only function hard-wired. They would have much less work at installation if it could work wirelessly.

So I think it's run a wire, or give up on moving the box.

liveaboard
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks Liveaboard,

I had a horrid feeling that it wasn't standard Ethernet they were using......

I know the router will support >1 box (next-door neighbour has this 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs (sounds like a TV program?)) might need to investigate this but don't really want to spend any money!

Regards

Robin

MadHorseman
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Hmmm - in addition I wonder if "hard-wired" means "not via a switch"? So I can't share the cable with say a Raspberry Pi?

Robin

MadHorseman
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 pm

The meo box connects to their router through a standard cat5 wire; as it can be connected to any of the 4 lan outputs, my guess is that it's basically an internet protocol. It can stream 2 HD channels simultaneously; I don't know how much data that is, but it's a lot.

You can't have a switch or router in between they said; for instance I had to run a second cat 5 wire alongside for my satellite receiver [it also connects to the internet for updates and file sharing]. We don't actually watch the meo TV much anymore [since putting in the satellite receiver], but I left in in since it doesn't cost anything extra with my phone and internet.

For other users, I'd use the wireless lan. I put my router in the attic [in an airtight box] so the wireless covers the whole house and outbuilding.

liveaboard
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks again - won't waste my time. Raspberry Pi (when and if I get one) will have to be wireless!

Regards

Robin

MadHorseman
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy