JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

So, is there such a think as a perfect life?

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

So, is there such a think as a perfect life?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:35 am

by Expat Focus columnist, Anne O'Connell

I’ve discovered a new meaning of the formula e=mc2 - exhaustion equals multiple countries squared. As we wrap up our summer in Canada I look back at a wonderful two and a half months of beautiful weather in gorgeous surroundings of Northern Ontario, a smattering of guests (both family and friends) and on the last day, the purchase of my first kayak! Interspersed with all the company was, of course, my freelance writing and a little yoga. Sounds delightful, right? My vote is in and I’m looking forward to doing it again next year but right now… I’m exhausted!

The Crash of Jet Lag

My eyes are as heavy as my heart as I leave family behind. I battle the jet lag and find my chin dropping to my chest as a sleepy blanket envelops me. No amount of caffeine will help. You just have to go with it. Some people say you must ‘power through’ and fight to stay awake and get back on the local time zone as soon as you can.

I say sleep when your body tells you to and find something to do when it inevitably wakes you up in the wee hours of the morning. No matter how many times I experience the sensation, it still takes me by surprise and I wonder if anyone got the number of the truck that must have hit me. They say it takes one day for every hour of time difference to get back to normal. That means for 11 days, I will go through life back in Thailand as a zombie, which is frustrating for me as a writer with deadlines!

What’s ‘Normal’?

So, that’s the drudgery part. However, there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I know once the haze in my brain has passed and my sleeping patterns even out and we return to ‘Thai normal’ life, I will again revel in the sounds of the birds in the trees, happily inhale the pungent curry wafting through the streets of my little town of Bang Tao and pop by my favourite spa for a desperately missed Thai (or oil) massage...

Article continues here

Carole
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy