JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Before moving to Thailand.

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Re: Before moving to Thailand.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi SM
Whats the best way and easyest way to get things moveing and what sort of things should I be looking for like how much money do I need to have behind me live out there what is the best type of visa to get,the best way to start a business with a Thai Nat, houseing,any advice rearly.

Pupa

pupa

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:35 am

- khunsee

Many people considers Thailand as a new destination for early retirement. However, there are so many factors to be considered. First of all, the legal right to own property.

Thank you to Khunsee for taking the time to post helpful information from the point of view of a Thai person. We expats must always remember that we were not invited into the Kingdom of Thailand. We merely arrived and expected things to be handled in our favor. We depend, probably more than we realize, on the vast hospitality of the Thais.

The legal right to own property for non-Thais is complex. There are many other web sites that explain the details. But it's so easy and economical to rent here, that you might not even wish to buy. On another expat web site I read a comment to the effect that, "Everyone I know who has bought property here has eventually regretted it."

As for me, I'm happy renting and have no intention of ever buying property.

Second, what kind of visa that would allow u to stay long-term with no need to run every 3 months to the neighbouring coutries to stamp re-entry visa.

Thailand is very generous in offering retirement visas to expats 50 years and older, whether or not officially retired. The visa is good for one year, and renewable. Simply go to a visa office or have a lawyer go in your place. With a retirement visa there is no need to exit Thailand. The requirements are a health exam and a bit of money in the bank. I had a Thai lawyer handle all the paperwork. Effortless.

Third, what locations and town that would suit your living atmosphere and how's the neighbourhood.

Excellent advice. Location is always important, but even more so in a culture that is so different from what we've grown up with in the West. Here's a tip that will make your location search easier: Find stores with Western foods, then locate close by. Near that store you will also find other shops and services to fill your needs, such as English books and magazines, a travel agency with English-speaking staff, a bakery, restaurants with familiar food and beer, and Western-trained doctors and dentists. Best for this purpose are Villa Supermarkets - a chain of a dozen or so stores around Bangkok - all in neighborhoods that would suit most expats. I can see the roof of one Villa store from my window. If I had to move again, I would be certain to locate close by some other Villa market.

Do you know someone there who can give you the exact information you are looking for?

Knowing where to go for information is very important. In Pattaya there is an excellent expats club, but I don't know of any active expats club in Bangkok. My best source for exact information has been my visa lawyer. Whenever I've had a question, he or one of his staff has been eager to sort out the answer. I'd say, even before you find a good location to live, first find a good lawyer in Thailand who can give you the information you are looking for.

Fourth, can you easily adjust and try to understand other culture? Or you will absolutely be what you are and hope to change the world on the other end. Of course, the other biggest problem is language barrier.

Another very important point. The culture and the language are so very different from everything we Westerners have experienced. There is no frame of reference for either. Soon after I arrived, I plunged into learning the language, at an excellent school in Bangkok. That has been the best possible window into the culture. Even if I never advance very far with the language, I am continuing to study as a way of understanding the culture of my adopted home.

Khunsee's original post listed the critical topics to consider before re-locating here. Any potential expat would do well to keep those in mind as he considers a possible move to Thailand.

-- Peter

I live in Bangkok. If you have questions about expat living here, you are welcome to contact me via a message on this forum.

Peter4
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:06 pm

Wow..I feel so grateful that many friends like my artical. I just got back from Australia and back to work. Such a good surprised! By the way, Pupa if you consider to have a long relationship with Thai. One extra advise, make sure that you will love his/her family too. For Thai people, we have strong bond within family. Children need to support their folks and/or relatives if they are in better position. There are many cases that foreigners couldnot understand why their spouses need to send money back home every month. Or else, they may bring some relatives to live in the same house. It is the way to show their gratitude to the family. Kindly learn more about our cultural: such as Hieracical society, Family value, etc. You may find a book "Thai & I" or "Living in Thailand".
And thanks so much to Peter, your advises are really informative. For others, if you need to know more about clubs, services and activities for foreigner here. I could provide you some. I have list of international club. Mainly for each nationality, such as British Club, St. George Soceity, American Chamber of Commerce, both in Bangkok & Pattaya.

P.S. Anyone could teach me how can I put emoticons in the board?..kind of naive.

Take care
Khunsee

khunsee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:28 pm

Yes Khunsee, the money thing always seem to be a big point of misunderstanding. I often hear from 'irate'western husbands that "she has been sending our money home again".
Farang with Thai wife just need to understand Thai culture to avoid many of the pitfalls. Its perfectly normal for any Thai to want to help her/his less well off family members. They would help you if you were needing, Thai family means everything believe me.

HappyD
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:30 pm

I see in todays Bangkok Post that the Thai government are going to make it harder for farang to buy property in Thailand ?

HappyD
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:09 pm

Khunsee, what business are you going into when you graduate?
HappyD, re the making it more difficult for farangs (foreigners) to buy property (land), there are no changes in the law. At the Land Office, there is stricter monitoring of purchases of land where there is a company & a farang has a part ownership. A good idea!

mahatma

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy