JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Isolation Never Leads To Assimilation

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Isolation Never Leads To Assimilation

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 am

by Expat Focus columnist, Anne O'Connell

Now, repeat that three times until it becomes your mantra. I’ve had to do that a lot lately. It’s been really easy to isolate myself in the year since we moved to Thailand. I’ve been in the throes of writing, publishing and promoting my debut novel, while copy writing for clients and contributing regularly to other blogs and magazines.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned to enjoy my own company and I love to write, so I don’t think it’s a sacrifice but my pale face and lack of social commitments would dictate otherwise. Not to mention that I have a reputation for adventure that I must uphold!

Delving into the Community

The expat community here in Phuket is alive and thriving but it’s not ‘in your face’. You have to go looking for it, especially when you live in a combo locals/tourist community as we do.

Along with getting regular updates from Chicky Net on what’s going on around town with the ‘ladies’, I periodically scan the Phuket News and Phuket Gazette to see if there’s anything that grabs my attention. A couple weeks ago I saw a calendar listing for a launch party for a book called A History of Phuket. It was sponsored by the American Chamber of Commerce and was to take place at the Royal Phuket Marina. So many things appealed to me about this event. My husband and I are sailors so being surrounded by boats was a great draw and a fellow author launching a book the same week I was launching mine was just too much to miss. So, I registered and when the night came, off we...

Read more here

Carole
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy