JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

YOUNG COUPLE TO MOVE SAMUI. ADVICE AND CRITICISM NEEDED!

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Thailand.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

YOUNG COUPLE TO MOVE SAMUI. ADVICE AND CRITICISM NEEDED!

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Hello All,

My name is Ramzy and I live and work in the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES. I was born and raised in this beautiful country. I am 27 years old and I am happily married to my wife who is from Russia, we have been together since 2005 and have been married since 2010.

I am originally from Jordan, and that is all I have to do with being a Jordanian.
I have always been considered as the black sheep in my family and society (I don’t speak perfect Arabic, I do not participate in any of the aspects of being an Arab (other than the food :P), I have long curly hair which is quite frowned upon where I come from, I am married to what close minded people call a foreigner, all of my friends are “foreigners” but I do have a few Arab friends who share my views and that I love to bits)

Please understand that I have nothing against my culture and I respect it and think it’s wonderful, but not wonderful for me Smile

My first encounter with the majesty of Thailand was in OCT 2010 for my honey moon. When we went there we both fell madly in love with it. My wife with the crazy shopping & as for myself with the fact that I was myself and no one cared how I looked or spoke.

We made it a habit to visit Thailand and started bringing friends along to witness how amazing Thailand is.

My last trip to Thailand, something happened. I was in koh phanagan, koh samui and Bangkok

As I was driving my mo ped through the beautiful jungle to show some friends some sites on the island, it hit me… I WANT TO STAY HERE. And that feeling has been itching in my chest ever since.

So for the last 3 months I have done my research, reached my goal in my head and on paper now all I want to do is to actually do it. I am going again in June to scout for businesses and I am going to bet there for a month.

Now my request from all of you is if you could share your stories with me.
I need the (who, where, why, whom and how). I know I could find all of it online but I am sure that 80% of it is absolute BS.

Note: I know my post is very lovey dovy and full of emotions but I am actually a small business owner here in Dubai where I do general trading and one of my markets is Thailand.

I have done my business plan, feasible study and executive summary about what I want to do. And that’s the easy part.
Please share you advice and criticisms with me. Helpful contacts and names will be highly appreciated.

I am really excited to hear you guys out! I love what these forums stand for!!

Regards,

Ramzy & Oksana

Ramzygm

Re: YOUNG COUPLE TO MOVE SAMUI. ADVICE AND CRITICISM NEEDED!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:32 am

You know what, if I had to pick the best places to live in Thailand, then I'll include Koh Samui definitely! I've never settled there but been there for a couple of times. The place was just astounding. You need not to worry about getting around without learning the Thai language as it's a touristy area and they can at least converse in English. Learning a bit of phrases, especially in monetary terms could help though. Not sure though as to the employment opportunities. Best of luck!

sanuk143

Page 1 of 1

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy