JOIN OUR FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
Learn from the experiences of other expats and make new friends in our disccussion forums and Facebook groups

READ OUR GUIDE TO MOVING ABROAD
The Expat Focus Guide to Moving Abroad contains everything you need to know when planning an international relocation available now, completely free

COMPARE QUOTES AND SAVE MONEY
Insurance, FX and international movers

LISTEN TO THE EXPAT FOCUS PODCAST
The Expat Focus podcast features interviews with expats living abroad and service providers meeting their needs subscribe today!

EXPERT FINANCIAL ADVICE & SERVICES
From our tax, investment and FX partners

Moving Dog from the US to Germany: Experiences please

Discussion forum for expats moving to or living in Germany.

Reply to topicReply to topic
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Moving Dog from the US to Germany: Experiences please

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 am

Does anyone have recent (in the last six months) experiences they care to share about moving with their dog? We plan to relocate to Germany in the next several months. We do NOT plan to use any pet transport service company but want to have him accompany us on the same flight. "Him" is a 100+ pound Great Pyre mix who suffers from separation anxiety and is scared easily. Really! We pretty much know the governmental stuff, i.e. VET Cert., health records, etc. plus he does have a microchip.

Thank you for sharing any experiences (choice of airline approved kennel, arrival at departing airport, checking in, arrival at destination airport, condition of dog, etc.) you've had in having a large dog accompany you on your flight to Germany.

Thank you for sharing!

NCtoRstein

Re: Moving Dog from the US to Germany: Experiences please

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Microchip is the main thing, generally speaking when you land they won't take a second look at your dog, I've never been asked for our dogs papers, and I 've been flying back and forth for 7 years now, but there is always a first.

Couple of small points, unfortunately not matter what way you cut it, flying a dog in cargo is not a pleasant experience, but unfortunately you don't have a choice if you wish to bring him with you.

2 things you can do, one is provide a bowl of FROZEN water for him to drink, secondly seal the cage with tape to prevent it from opening.

If you haven't already, get him used to being in a cage by himself. At least he have the small comfort of being in his house.

If you've never had him in a crate than make it a pleasant experience by putting his food in there along with some treats, a few days of that and he will associate it with something good.

Once you arrive in Germany check out britboard.de or toytownmunich.com they are the best of the best for expat websites.

good luck

timhortonsman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:44 am

Tim, I appreciate the input. We are scheduled to move in September so we will order a crate shortly and get him started to get used to the crate by placing food/treats in there. That's an excellent idea. Thanks again! I've been checking out www.expatica.com but will take a look at the ones you suggested as well.

NCtoRstein

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:43 pm

Be very thick skinned if you post to expatica.com it has a tendency to turn nasty at time, particularly questions regarding child tax benefits

BTW one big thing you will notice is they are very dog friendly there, dogs go everywhere to grocery stores, I'm spoiled rotten when I go home and have to leave teddy at home when I go to the mall.

timhortonsman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:32 am

Oh yeah, I've read my share of nasty postings on expatica.com; it seems like anything goes and some people use it to let all their day-to-day frustrations out.

I'm actually German so I am familiar with the difference on how dogs are treated there. The entire Relo will be an adventure after having lived in the US for the past 33 years, I'm "returning" as a US citizen and a lot of things will seem strange yet familiar at the same time Smile

NCtoRstein

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:00 am

Oh yeah, I've read my share of nasty postings on expatica.com; it seems like anything goes and some people use it to let all their day-to-day frustrations out.

Apologies for jumping in here but I just wanted to say that, with all due respect to Expatica, I'm afraid there is more than a little truth in the above observation. It's something we (the moderators) actively try to make sure doesn't happen here.

Jamie

Expat Focus
Web: www.expatfocus.com
Twitter: twitter.com/ExpatFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/expatfocus

Jamie
Expat Focus Administrator

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:03 am

Thanks Rod, and that is, I'm sure, greatly appreciated by your readers!

NCtoRstein

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Copyright © 2019 Expat Focus. All Rights Reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use/Privacy Policy. Comments are property of their posters.
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy